Unanswered: SQLServer backup

Sirs,

I am an Oracle DBA and new to SQLServer (SQLServer 2008 running in Windows Server 2008).
    In our organization, all server backups were performed by our Systems Administrators.
    With a deployment of production SQLServer, the SA account was being maintained
    by our Systems Administrators. Can we share the same SA account in order to perform our individual
    tasks?

My question is: who will perform then the SQLServer database backup?

Thank you.
    Last edited by ReyM21; 04-05-16 at 03:30.

Provided Answers: 54
    Depending on the security policy of the organization that you work for you may be able to share the sa account with the systems group, but that isn't needed in most cases.

Best practice is to use:
    1. One Active Directory User for each user for everyday tasks such as email and web browsing
    2. A different Active Directory User for each Administrator for "Administrative" tasks.
    3. Granting the Administrative AD User access to the SQL Server
    4. Making the Administrative user a member of the appropriate SQL Security groups, such as sysadmin
    5. Using the Administrative AD User for all SQL Server administration

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

SQLServer backup

Sir, thank you very much for this info.

I want to clarify if who's responsible for the backup of SQLServer database? Is it the SysAds or the DBAs
    since it was a policy in our organization that all backups (on-site & off-site) should be performed by our SysAds.

Thank you once again.

Provided Answers: 54
    You'll need to ask your management, that's a policy decision and not a technical one.

Every organization that I work with depends on the DBA to manage getting the database to a backup file that is static (not open by the database engine). The System administrators or the Backup Engine team are responsible for getting that static file into the backup system.

This results in a division of labor/responsibility that is technically sound and easy to support.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

SQLServer backup

Well noted, Sir.

Thanks for such good clarifications.

Best regards