Question Answered: MS sql 2014 standard version and high availability in virtualization

Dear All,

Im new to database and designs. Im looking for few clarifications, appreciate if you can help.

I have MS SQL 2014 standard edition version installed as virtual machine and it is working fine. We do have a ORacle DB and there is an integration done between ORacle DB and MS SQL, for example MS sql is pulling certain info from oracle database tables and MS sql is pushing some data to certain tables in oracle too.

Now i would like to implement HA by providing 1 more MS SQL server, my queries are below.

1. Im using MS SQL 2014 standard edition, what is the level of HA/clustering i can achieve - Active/active or active/passive ?

2. current MS sql DB server is a virtual machine, can i take a copy of this and copy it on a separate VM to make it work or do i need to install from scratch ?

3. suppose my IP address for the current SQL db is 192.168.1.10, can i change this IP as VIP and assign another IP's to both VM without much issues ?

Thanks.
    Binoy

2. Best Answer
    Posted by MCrowley

"1) You may set up a 2-node Failover Clustered Instance (FCI) with Standard Edition. This will require a great deal of reading, and bringing up 2 new VMs, with specific storage and network requirements. These two machines will then manage a single IP address for the FCI, which will be an active-passive instance.

2) You can copy the database to another machine, but that copy will rapidly become stale. You can also try to implement Log Shipping, but this is used more for Disaster Recovery, rather than High availability, as there will be many manual steps involved in getting the second instance to accept database requests.

3) Maybe, but SQL Server does not act like Oracle's RAC. Load balancing is still not a thing in SQL Server."

Provided Answers: 11
    1) You may set up a 2-node Failover Clustered Instance (FCI) with Standard Edition. This will require a great deal of reading, and bringing up 2 new VMs, with specific storage and network requirements. These two machines will then manage a single IP address for the FCI, which will be an active-passive instance.

2) You can copy the database to another machine, but that copy will rapidly become stale. You can also try to implement Log Shipping, but this is used more for Disaster Recovery, rather than High availability, as there will be many manual steps involved in getting the second instance to accept database requests.

3) Maybe, but SQL Server does not act like Oracle's RAC. Load balancing is still not a thing in SQL Server.

Thanks for your reply.

I've been getting different opinions from people and got really confused. some of them said in 2014 standard edition you cant achieve HA active/passive. if i take the copy of the sql db virtual machine and copy it to a different VM, what all changes i have to make in OS level and at database level ( in high level ) and how difficult these processes are.

NB : database is installed on SAN

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    1) You may set up a 2-node Failover Clustered Instance (FCI) with Standard Edition. This will require a great deal of reading, and bringing up 2 new VMs, with specific storage and network requirements. These two machines will then manage a single IP address for the FCI, which will be an active-passive instance.

3) Maybe, but SQL Server does not act like Oracle's RAC. Load balancing is still not a thing in SQL Server.

If i'm installing FCI, is it fully automated or any manual intervention required to make it happen.

Provided Answers: 11
    An FCI will automatically fail over in the event of network, OS, Hardware, or an event that halts SQL Server. A failover is in effect a shutdown-restart of the service, so you will still need to plan those for off-hours, even if you can patch the idle node during the day.

When you questions about what Standard can or can not do, you may want to go to the source