I have a couple questions regarding oracle database installation and your answers will be greatly appreciated. I recently installed Oracle 12c database linux server on VMware player, I can use the database, but I noticed some unusual GUI interfaces which are really annoying:
1) There seem to be multiple, repetitive options on the command prompt (shown in start.jpg) when starting the server, how to minimize the list?
2) I didn't see the standard penguin icon, instead only the plain START button (shown in Desktop.png), plus the VirtualBox kernel service not running message, how to make the penguin icon visible?
3) In the opened terminal, the hostname is vbgeneric, how to change it to localhost? I tried the reset_sqldev, but no success.
1) This not an Oracle Database issue. I don't use Oracle linux server. Sorry.
2) Mmmmh. You mentioned that you started "VMware player" to run the server. But the message is about "Virtualbox". Did you create the VM with Virtualbox or VMware?
3) "localhost" is not a real hostname. Please do not change the hostname to "localhost".
"localhost" should be resolved to 127.0.0.1. And there should be always a network interface called "loopback device".
You can try this with
ping -c 1 localhost
The answer should be:
PING localhost (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.014 ms
--- localhost ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.014/0.014/0.014/0.000 ms