Unanswered: migration from 7.4.2

Hello,
    I'm newbie to Postgresql and also to linux. I've done a database backup with the following command: "pg_dumpall > data_backup" on a 7.4.2 postgresql server(running on a SUSE Enterprise linux 9).
    Now I want to recover it to a 9.3.11 server (running on Ubuntu 14.04.3).
    Is it possible? If yes, please post a step by step commands/procedures that I have to do.
    Thanks in advance for suggestions !

Provided Answers: 12

Quote Originally Posted by shammat View Post
    Thank you for your fast answer !
    As I said I'm newbie to postgresql and linux. I am a little bit confused as you send me to 9.5.2 Docs. I saw that every version of Postgresql has it's own Docs. That why i'm feeling in a "jungle" (too much informations). I think, if every version has it's own Docs, RESTORE from/to 7.4.2 to/from 9.3.11 to be not the same as from/to 8.x.x to/from 9.x.x
    Maybe I'm wrong, please enlighten me!

Quote Originally Posted by tenlau
    I saw that every version of Postgresql has it's own Docs.
    That is true, as each new version has had changes to the software, and at a minimum, the change log is included with each new version of documentation. Obviously, if there are functional changes to the software, the documentation should be updated to reflect theose functional changes...

As a first go, with such a large change that you're talking about, it is unlikely that you'll be able to migrate the data 'painlessly.' You should look at the change log in the v9.3 documentation, and take note of the upgrade process. Typically, within a version, updates should be relatively painless. However, major changes (7->8, 8->9, for instance) may require you to make adjustments to the data. When performing the dump of the old version, you should do so in text, instead of binary format. In that way, if you need to make an adjustment, it can be done relatively easily.

It may make sense for you to first install the oldest version 8 that is available, and upgrade your existing database text dump to v8. Then, install v9.0, and repeat the upgrade to that version from v8, and finally, perform a dump/restore to get up up to 9.3 (but, since 9.5 has been released, you might want to go to that version...)

Take a look in the appendices of the documentation, in particular at 'E.76.2. Migration to Version 9.0.' Each major release has a section like this, describing the database upgrade potential pitfalls associated with the new major release.

Upgrades aren't easy, or necessarily painless, but if you stay relatively up-to-date, they are less painless than the alternative...
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Thanks @loquin, I'll follow your logic suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by loquin View Post
    When performing the dump of the old version, you should do so in text, instead of binary format. In that way, if you need to make an adjustment, it can be done relatively easily.
    First, thank you for your logic suggestions.
    Second, I have the text file backup. It is 13,1 GB. How can I edit such a "monster" ?