Provided Answers: 1

Question Answered: 1st Time Implementing OH Maintenance Solution - Recommendations Welcome

We found a random SQL Server box that apparently nobody was aware of and it's hosting a critical app. This instance (SQL Server 2014 64-bit) had no DR / maintenance plans at all. I downloaded Ola's MS script and ran air code on my prod box

After the jobs were created, I went and created maintenance plans in SSMS as follows:

- SYSTEM_BACKUPS: FULL / DAILY / 1AM ---> Maintenance Cleanup Task: BACKUPS / OLDER THAN 7 DAYS /
    - USER_DATABASE_DATA: FULL / DAILY / 2AM ---> Maintenance Cleanup Task: BACKUPS / OLDER THAN 7 DAYS /
    - USER_DATABASE_LOGS: TX / EVERY 15M ---> Maintenance Cleanup Task: BACKUPS / OLDER THAN 7 DAYS /

Are there any recommendations on how to use the OH maintenance plan effectively inside SQL Server via maintenance plans? Appreciate any info / feedback!

2. Best Answer
    Posted by Pat Phelan

"There are as many choices as you can imagine, plus a bunch that you probably can't imagine. In other words, there are a practical infinity of ways to integrate OH and SS maintenance.

The simplest way is to simply create a SQL Task in the SQL Server Maintenance Plan, and execute the OH procedure or procedures as needed.

You can add complexity as needed, until Rube Goldberg intervenes.

-PatP"

Provided Answers: 54
    There are as many choices as you can imagine, plus a bunch that you probably can't imagine. In other words, there are a practical infinity of ways to integrate OH and SS maintenance.

The simplest way is to simply create a SQL Task in the SQL Server Maintenance Plan, and execute the OH procedure or procedures as needed.

You can add complexity as needed, until Rube Goldberg intervenes.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.