Provided Answers: 1

Question Answered: Maintenance Plans -vs- Scheduled Jobs?

Is there any reason to create maintenance plans rather than just scheduling the job itself from the properties / schedules pane? Curious how maintenance plans are used inside SQL Server over just having a bunch of scheduled jobs. The only benefit I can see so far is that a "Maintenance Plan" is able to perform several tasks under one name and report on the flow of the plan.

Jobs can just be called via SQL Server agent per their scheduled time and that appears to be all.

Can you guys tell me the difference and / or how I can expect them to be individually beneficial in the DBA "real world"?

2. Best Answer
    Posted by MCrowley

"Guess what the maintenance plans use under the covers. SQL Agent jobs running SSIS packages.

You will find that new DBAs use the maintenance plans because they are easy to set up, easy to understand, and fairly reliable.

Older DBAs (myself included) tend to still create their own because we like to know exactly what the plan does, when it does it, and how. There may also be some special considerations in an environment that we want to make sure we address."

Provided Answers: 11
    Guess what the maintenance plans use under the covers. SQL Agent jobs running SSIS packages.

You will find that new DBAs use the maintenance plans because they are easy to set up, easy to understand, and fairly reliable.

Older DBAs (myself included) tend to still create their own because we like to know exactly what the plan does, when it does it, and how. There may also be some special considerations in an environment that we want to make sure we address.

Provided Answers: 1
    OK, thanks.