Provided Answers: 4

Answered: automate DDL and DML, Rails migrate vs Liquibase

Hi,

We are looking for a way to automate and streamline the process of deploying DDL and DML scripts to different databases - Development, test, acceptance and production - for SSIS development (ETL, XML-processing, ...).

I have some experience with Ruby on Rails, and I did like its "migrations". I went looking for a way to use it as a stand alone solution.
    While doing so, I saw a reference towards Liquibase.

What tool do you use to manage this kind of database activities? Pro's cons?
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

2. Best Answer
    Posted by Pat Phelan

"For that scale, I'd recommend Octopus Deploy. See https://octopus.com/ for more information.

You may be able to use the Community Edition, which is free. If not, you can purchase additional capacity/functionality at https://octopus.com/purchase

-PatP"

No one?

Seems the question has left the forum speechless.
    Wim

Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

Provided Answers: 54
    I do six quite different kinds of migrations using three different tools. My problem isn't that I have no answer, I have too many!

Simple solution, one developer, three environments (Dev, UAT, Prod): SSMS

Moderate solution: six to twenty developers, four environments (Developer, Scratch Build, QA, Prod): a mix of SSMS and a deployment manager.

Complex solutions: twelve to fifty developers, six environments (Developer, Group, Scratch Build, QA, UAT, Prod) deployment manager working strictly from the repository.

So which level of complexity are you envisioning?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Hi Pat,

One team of two developers that work mainly on SSIS and SSMS (alongside another team that works with Ruby on Rails). It is not a full time job, and there may be weeks between releases. It's no good thing to rely on memory in such conditions.

Another reason is that we expect an audit of our processes before end 2017.

We mainly want an automated tool to help us in a reliable way to deploy changes to the different database. The time between those changes from DEV to PROD may be from a few hours to a few weeks. And when that tool helps us to look smart during the audit, we take that as a bonus.
    Wim

Provided Answers: 54
    For that scale, I'd recommend Octopus Deploy. See https://octopus.com/ for more information.

You may be able to use the Community Edition, which is free. If not, you can purchase additional capacity/functionality at https://octopus.com/purchase

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thank you Pat,

Small Teams

Octopus: Community edition is free for small teams, even for commercial use. It allows you to deploy up to five projects to up to ten target machines, and is limited to five users. Simply download Octopus and start a 45-day trial. At the end of the trial you can choose to continue using the Community edition for free. Happy deployments!
    Nice, we'll look further into this.
    Wim