Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: What Exactly is Always Encrypted for 2016?

I'm curious what this is and how it differs from other SSL options for vendors like PostgreSQL and MySQL? Is this Microsoft just catching up on the SSL / security front or what is this feature and how does it stand out over other similar vendor offerings? Trying to really just understand what this is. I've been enabling SSL security on my *NIX based databases for years and force all clients to connect over HOSTSSL or no talk-ie. Is this not the same thing?

Provided Answers: 54
    No, the "Always Encrypted" marketing-speak is pretty close to what the whole Data Platform does. Everything from the application to the SQL Server and back again is encrypted for the entire trip... Outside of the application, the data is mangled so that it makes no sense. Nothing running on the user machine, any application server, the SQL Server, or even on hacking hardware like a monitoring device can access. Only the application has simple, clear access to the data protected by Always Encrypted.

There are some constraints, Always Encrypted isn't a panacea but it is very good and much better than simple transport encryption like SSL.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Always encrypted in 2016 encrypts the data both at rest *and* in motion and keeps it encrypted in memory. So this protects the data from rogue administrators, backup thieves, and man-in-the-middle attacks. Unlike TDE, as well, Always Encrypted allows you to encrypt only certain columns, rather than the entire database. For more details visit: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt163865.aspx

Always Encrypted also provides a secure way to protect your data in a particular column. see here for more about this feature: http://www.sqlmvp.org/always-encrypt...l-server-2016/
    Last edited by johnwalker10; 05-31-16 at 03:32.

What Exactly is Always Encrypted for 2016?

Based on what I have read, with the row level security feature in SQL Server 2016, It is possible to use an Always Encrypted feature.