Answered: Total noob: how to create list choices from past users' entries

Access 2010, total noob here. Google's been pretty great at helping me design my first database (frequently pointing me to this site, among others), but I don't even know what to call this feature I'm looking for.

From the form, I want users to be able to enter text into a field, and as users enter the text and save the record, I'd like those entries to become list choices for that field in future records. (Leave off for a minute whether this is a good idea or not...this dbase will only have two users making entries.)

Let's say for example I'm asking for Make of Car, but I don't know all the possible choices, and I also don't want either of us users to have to type in the whole value every time. As I or my colleague start entering cars into records, those entries will now become dropdown list choices: "Honda";"Toyota";"Chevrolet"...etc.

I hope that makes sense what I'm asking for. I know spelling will be an issue, but with just two of us using the dbase I think we can manage that.

Thanks all!

2. Best Answer
    Posted by myle

"pull a Combo box on the form and turn off the wizard thing
    in the control source add said feild

in the rowsource click the ... this will open a query window put said table the query window

double click said feild turn on totals (groups) sort it close windows the rowsoucre should show the SQL of what you want

make shoure the limit to list is false

done"

Provided Answers: 5
    pull a Combo box on the form and turn off the wizard thing
    in the control source add said feild

in the rowsource click the ... this will open a query window put said table the query window

double click said feild turn on totals (groups) sort it close windows the rowsoucre should show the SQL of what you want

make shoure the limit to list is false

done
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

Thank you myle, that totally worked!