Answered: Logs archiving with different sizes

DB21085I Instance "DB2" uses "32" bits and DB2 code release "SQL09070" with
    level identifier "08010107".
    Informational tokens are "DB2 v9.7.0.441", "s090521", "NT3297", and Fix Pack
    "0".
    Product is installed at "C:\PROGRA~1\IBM\SQLLIB" with DB2 Copy Name "DB2COPY1".

Windows Server 2008 Standard Version 6 SP 2.

========================

I have a 6Gb database that is used as part of an application that pushes out updates to user's desktops (around 3000 users). The archived logs have been the same size as the primary logs for a long time (16,392 Kb), but just recently it has started archiving logs of all differing sizes. From around 56Kb - 16,392 Kb.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be please?

Thank you.

2. Best Answer
    Posted by stiruvee

"Log file is truncated and moved to archive directory when database is stopped (deactivated). Are you explicitly activating database using activate database command? If database is not activated explicitly using activate database command, database will be activated when some one tries to connect and will be deactivated when there are no active connections. This will cause log files of different size to be generated.

Check following link for info. about activate database command.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledg.../r0002038.html

Satya..."

Provided Answers: 5
    There are different reasons why logs will get archived before they reach their maximum size. for example, Backups will terminate a log file and it will get archived at a smaller size. Read the documentation, it is explained there.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ARWinner View Post
    There are different reasons why logs will get archived before they reach their maximum size. for example, Backups will terminate a log file and it will get archived at a smaller size. Read the documentation, it is explained there.

Andy
    Thanks Andy.

The backups run for about 12 minutes whereas the truncated logs occur over a much longer time frame. I found some documentation that told me about backups / truncated logs but it didn't have any further information on what else could be causing this.

If you or anyone else could point me in the right direction for something else to read I would be very grateful. A link to a manual that I should read that explains why logs are truncated other than because of backups would be great.

Provided Answers: 2
    Log file is truncated and moved to archive directory when database is stopped (deactivated). Are you explicitly activating database using activate database command? If database is not activated explicitly using activate database command, database will be activated when some one tries to connect and will be deactivated when there are no active connections. This will cause log files of different size to be generated.

Satya...

Quote Originally Posted by stiruvee View Post
    Log file is truncated and moved to archive directory when database is stopped (deactivated). Are you explicitly activating database using activate database command? If database is not activated explicitly using activate database command, database will be activated when some one tries to connect and will be deactivated when there are no active connections. This will cause log files of different size to be generated.

Satya...
    Thanks Satya.

I followed your advice at the end of last week and that has made the difference.

Thank you both for taking the time to read and answer to this thread. The thread can be closed now. I have the answer I needed.