Exclamation Unanswered: Learning more about Oracle databases

Hi there,

I am newly registered to the forum but have been lurking for quite some time. It is a great resource. As someone who is relatively new to the world of Oracle databases I would love to get up to speed quicker. Please PM me if you are available for a very basic 1 hour phone call (for which I will pay $125). I am trying to learn more about Oracle DB from the perspective of a DB admin, someone who has worked at Oracle, or someone who has understanding of various DB architectures. Please PM me.

Sincerely,
    DBN

One hour isn't really going to give you a lot of information. Save that money for books or food.

The first thing you should do is get familiar with the database concepts. Don't bother trying to memorize it or grasping everything in one shot. What this document will do is give you an overview of how Oracle's architecture works and get you familiar with the different terminology that's used.

http://docs.oracle.com/database/121/CNCPT/toc.htm

If this is your first Oracle install, I would start off by installing a copy of XE first. It's pretty much automatic for Windows and Linux and this will get you up and running with an Oracle database. Read the 2 day DBA and Developer guides after that.

If you do decide to install a full copy of Oracle, oracle-base is another good website. The Oracle documentation can be a bit obtuse at times, so his guides cut down on the clutter.

https://oracle-base.com/

The most important thing is to be patient. For me, it took a bit of time before things kind of clicked and I'm certainly no expert at Oracle in any way.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I will go through these resources now. I would still be interested in a "non-technical" intro discussion if anybody is interested.

Thank you again, swirling vortex.

If you need any help, ask on the forum and people will be glad to help for free.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Thank you; I will do that!