Unanswered: Oracle Free Versions

Hi all,

I would like to download and start learning Oracle. I see that 11g XE is a free version, as is SQL Developer for the front end. Version 12c is out now - is that a free version that can be installed on Windows 10 - 64-bit? Are there any other free resources?

Thanks in advance,

HLeyes

Provided Answers: 4
    Every Oracle database version is free, as long as you use it for learning purposes. Therefore, feel free to install 12c if you want (however, as you are a beginner, I'd suggest to use 11g XE instead).

However, once you start making money using that* database, it is no longer free and you'd have to pay (a lot of) money to Oracle (note that XE remains free).

* Anyway, it is all described in the documentation - read Database Licensing Information User Manual.

To learn I would use XE. It is very easy to install/uninstall and administer using sql developer. The normal production database (not XE) is MUCH more complex to install. Also XE is designed to play nice on a workstation, the standard database grabs as many cycles as it needs and you will find that your workstation will run as slow as molasses.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Littlefoot,

Thanks for the info. I'll install 11g XE to get started, then move up if need to.

HLeyes

beilstwh,

Good thought - I have heard things about a laptop or desktop getting bogged down by the database. I'll go with 11g XE.

Thanks,

HLeyes

No, thank you for responding. We all appreciate it.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.