Unanswered: Autoexpand won't

I have the Autoexpand setting in a Combo Box set to "Yes". The Combo box is drawing from a Query. I'm using Access 2013 and Windows 10. I have built multiple databases before with no problems... Can someone help?

Provided Answers: 19
    AutoExpand works on the Bound Column. Are you sure that the Column holding the data that you're entering is, in fact, the Bound Column? In 2007 and later versions, the Access Gnomes have a (to me) bad habit of including the Primary Key in a Combobox, even when you haven't selected it as a Column, and making it the Bound Column, when using the Combobox Wizard.

Welcome to dBforums!

Linq ;0)>
    Last edited by Missinglinq; 06-07-16 at 00:03.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Still no joy...

I recreated the Query and the Combo Box and checked for 'gnomes' - to no avail... Anybody else have a suggestion for Access 2013 running on Windows 10?

You didn't answer...

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post

...Are you sure that the Column holding the data that you're entering is, in fact, the Bound Column?

Understand that when referring to Columns in VBA code, they're Zero-based, i.e. the first Column is 0, the second is 1, and so forth, but in the Properties Pane (Properties - Data - Bound Column) the Columns are not Zero-based...so the first Column would be 1, the second 2, etc.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

Still no Joy...

I have checked the Properties boxes and the correct field columns are selected.

Anyone from Microsoft care to weigh in???

Although we usually think of Forms, or entire Databases, when we speak of corruption, individual Controls, such as Comboboxes, can and do become corrupted...and corruption is a good guess when an object simply doesn't work as it should.

The test and the fix are one and the same; deleting the Control then re-creating it! If it was corrupt, you've verified the fact and solved the problem! If not, you've only lost a minute or two!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

Already did that a few times... The Combo Box(es) perform correctly until I shut the program down and restart it. Then, the boxes just sit there and laugh at me...

Are you saying that if you open the Form in Design View, then switch to Form View, the Comboboxes work correctly...but if you close the Form, then open it directly, i.e. without starting off in Design View, they don't?

If this is the case, I suspect that the Folder the File resides in needs to be declared as 'Trusted.'

Don't know where, exactly, you need to go, in 2013, to find this Option, but it should be under Access Options and then Trust or Trust Center.

Access will run code, and other functions, when going from Design View to running it, in Form View, even with the Folder not 'trusted,' but will balk when opened directly in Form View, under the same conditions. Apparently it assumes that a person using Design View is the developer, and can be 'trusted' as far as running the app, but anyone opening the Form directly is simply a user...and can't be 'trusted!'

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

Linq - I have done all that - still no 'permanent' joy... Let me recap: When I create/recreate the Control in Design View, Save it, and then open the Form in Form View, it works like it's supposed to. HOWEVER, when I close the Form / File / Program and then Open the Program and File again, the Combo Boxes just sit and stare at me...