Unanswered: Password Question - PLEASE HELP!

Hi everyone,

So, I'm trying to encrypt a password on my database but it won't allow me for some reason. I contacted my local IT Department and they are saying it may be due to the file type of the database, I advised them that it's .mdb.

A little light bulb went off in my head and instantly thought to change the file to .accdb. Still nothing.

Here is a picture of what the "FILE" section of my database looks like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	8 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	16914

Provided Answers: 59
    ??? what do you mean by
    encrypt a password on my database
    what are you trying to protect against

are you trying to stop people using the application without the correct credentials..

well if its on your own network then 'd suggest usign the Network logon to authenticate users (google dev ashish API)
    if its trying to block users seeing the design, then deploy as an encrypted file (either MDE or ACCDE). its a smarter call in as much as its felxible, new ausers and be added/managed without revisiting VBA code

if its stopping unauthorised users seeinn the file(s) then thats down to how your network administrators set up the directory access wher ether application resides. its possible to setup the networking so that a directory isn't visible to non authenticated users.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    ??? what do you mean by

what are you trying to protect against

are you trying to stop people using the application without the correct credentials..

well if its on your own network then 'd suggest usign the Network logon to authenticate users (google dev ashish API)
    if its trying to block users seeing the design, then deploy as an encrypted file (either MDE or ACCDE). its a smarter call in as much as its felxible, new ausers and be added/managed without revisiting VBA code

if its stopping unauthorised users seeinn the file(s) then thats down to how your network administrators set up the directory access wher ether application resides. its possible to setup the networking so that a directory isn't visible to non authenticated users.
    Sorry buddy, but all you have managed to do is confuse me.

I just need the database to have a password. So only my team can access it, as we are on a large network of different network drives/folders.

So when we double click on the database, we put in a password for example anything1 and then we access it? I don't know if I worded my post incorrectly. For some reason, the version of access I have is unable to encrypt a password, whereas my version at home...I can do it very easily. Typically in the section that I have screenshotted. For some reason, that same button is unavailable in my version here at my work.

so if you want to encrypt a db with a password then read the help file.

but depending on the version you are using try file | info | encrypt with password

but depending onm the version you are suign try file | info | encrypt with password

but if its a multi user db then ideally you should be using a split db
    and you'd bebetter off identifying who a user is rather than rely on a password to a file

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post

but depending onm the version you are suign try file | info | encrypt with password

but if its a multi user db then ideally you should be using a split db
    and you'd bebetter off identifying who a user is rather than rely on a password to a file
    I've been unsuccessful determining the actual version we own at my work.

At home, my version allows me to set a password by doing what you've advised me to do, which is head to File > Info.

For some reason, here at work - I cannot see that option, this is my trouble and why I've posted this thread.

Here is a picture:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	16918