Unanswered: ODBC Setup with Oracle Database 11g Express

Hi All,

I'm a long-time programmer, but I'm new to Oracle. I'm attempting to do a proof-of-concept for a project I'm working on. I've downloaded and installed the 11g Express Edition (11.2.0.2.0) of Oracle on my develop machine, and that's more-or-less going fine.

I can open the SQL window, and I'm slowly learning a few Oracle SQL extended commands. (I'm actually not bad with SQL. It's just that these Oracle extended commands are new to me.)

I can connect to the SYSTEM user. I've successfully created a TABLESPACE. I think I've successfully created a USER.

Next, I'd like to connect to the database via ODBC using MS-Access. This is where I'm getting lost. I downloaded and installed the ODAC 11.2 Release 3 and Oracle Developer Tools, and specified the "client" version.

I'm assuming that there's no problem letting the Oracle SQL Server and also Client software run on the same machine (given that this is just a proof-of-concept).

However, I'm now stuck. I fire up MS-Access, and select "ODBC Database", and then tell it to "Link to the data source...". I then get the "Select Data Source" dialog, where I click the "Machine Data Source" tab. The Oracle ODBC driver isn't listed so I click "New". At the bottom of the list, it says "Oracle in OraClient 11g_home1". I select that and then get the following form:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ODBC.gif 
Views:	5 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	16921

Here, I'm clueless as to what to say to connect to the Oracle server. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Elroy

Provided Answers: 4
    Using the Oracle ODBC Driver documentation explains it all.

What version of access are you using. If it is 32 bit you have to make the odbc connection in the 32 bit odbc administrator. If 64 bit (assuming you have a 64 bit version of windows) you have to define it in the 64 bit administrator.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.