Provided Answers: 1

Answered: DB Structure Design help needed

Hello
    Iím new to MS Access (I have it, but Iím not set on it), but have worked with Relational Data Managed Structures and written COBOL programs using it.

Iím trying to create a database to track Lineages and Order of Battle (OoB) of military units in the 20th century with an emphasis on Canada and WW2. Much of the data is date based but may not have a compete date (i.e. early Dec 1941) or even a fixed start. The DB will track the Name, Size, Branch, Superior, Level, Location, etc., and the date. Each of these attributes can change at different dates but may not exist at any point in time. With examples I can explain how this all works but itís not worth while until someone says ďsure I will HelpĒ!

My flat file is about 12,000 records, but it is NOT totally normalized. I donít want to change the flat file structure until I have a DB structure that will fit and handle the data quirks as I know it. The commercial aspect of the project is very low and it is being self-funded. All credit and acknowledgment will be shared in proportion to the help received. I am willing to discuss this projectsí data structure in this forum or in private as the coach wishes.

So the Question is Ö
    Can someone coach me in designing the DB structure and get me started on this project?

Or
    Point me as to where I should be.

2. Best Answer
    Posted by Western_Neil

"Closing this thread
    Neil"

Provided Answers: 24
    As an example, i think you will need tables (w fields) below.
    a main list of lookup tables ie: persons, battles
    and the combined: tPersonBattles which are filled from the lookup tables.

tPerson table
    PersonID (autoNum)
    FirstN
    LastN
    ..etc

tBattles
    BattleID
    Name

tPersonBattles
    BattleID
    PersonID
    Date

tRegiments
    RegID
    RegName
    Country

tRegPersons
    RegID
    PersonID
    DateStart
    DateEnd

tOrderOfBattle
    OOBid
    Order
    BattleID

Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    As an example, i think you will need tables (w fields) below.
    a main list of lookup tables ie: persons, battles
    and the combined: tPersonBattles which are filled from the lookup tables.
    Thanks
    I know the data will fill out the fields, but the relationships are the key and the PK &FKs are the links. For me (silly old) the first (of many) question is Dates.
    1) For dates in the 1850 will MS Access handle these natively or is there a trick that needs to set up.
    2) What trick could be used to handle non fixed dates? I.e. (around, early, Q2, in July, sometime in, etc.)

Normalization says not to repeat data (unless necessary). So to get a date range does each record need 2 dates (Start End), or use the next record in the sequence for the end date? If so how to mark that it is current one?

I believe these are simple questions but I have assumed to much in the past, and I want to walk the enlighten path.

Thanks Neil

Closing this thread
    Neil