Thread: Tablespaces

Arrow Unanswered: Tablespaces

I wish to create a Temporary(TEMP) tablespace(TBS) for my reorg operations for 4k,8k16k and 32k. we could bring down the utilization of the file system since it is a Pure Scale environment. All my present tablespaces are Automatic Storage. Shall I create the TEMP TBS as system managed?

Let me know
    Prakash

Provided Answers: 13
    You have no choice here: all pureScale tablespaces must be automatically managed.

Regards,
    Mark.

So what is the best practice here in PureScale for me to create a tablespace for reorg? Create the TEMP TBS in a separate mount point and drop the TBS everytime the reorg get completed ?

I haven't ever seen such a recommendation or a best practice - to place a system temp to a dedicated file system.
    You can try, if you want of course, to create a new storage group and place a system temp there...

So how do we ever reclaim the space that is used by offline reorg? Or is it by virtue the db2 bring down the utilization after offline reorg has been completed in PureScale?

Alter tablespace myspace reduce
    Regards,
    Mark.

Mark if you don't mind cud please share one sample of "CREATE USER TEMPORARY TABLESPACE ... managed by automatic storage.. " from any of your db2look that you are using for your REORG. Ty

User temp spaces are not used for reorgs.
    Do you mean system temp space?
    What's interesting can be in such an example? Just create such a tablespace in yor test database and run db2look on it...
    Regards,
    Mark.

Yes I mean the system temp space. while creating the db in 32k pages by default we have one TEMPSPACE1 which is a system is what I used for to reorg 32k tables. Let me create and see. Being in 9.7 world and suddenly a phase changes to AS is little difficult for me accept that everything is AS including TEMP TBS.
    We created TEMP TBS with SMS so then it raise and drop on its own whenever roerg happens. Infact we dedicate filesystem for TEMP SMS TBS for 2twice size of each table of its own kind.
    So thats the reason I asked for a sample TEMP TBS in AS format if any.