Provided Answers: 11

Answered: rs.exe script problem

This is probably more of a programming problem than a SQL Server problem, but it sort of relates.

So, I am trying to put together a script for SQL Server Reporting Services using the rs.exe utility. This utility takes in an uncompiled VB.NET program that needs to follow some fairly strict formatting rules. One of these rules is you can't import functionality from arbitrary DLLs. Specifically, you can not supply your own IMPORTS statements to bring in other namespaces.

This forum posting implies that you can use the System.Data.SqlClient namespace, but I have not had any luck doing so as yet. Is this something that just can't be done?

2. Best Answer
    Posted by Pat Phelan

"Based on what I know of RS.EXE, I don't think that the VB.NET program can use the System.Data.SQLClient namespace.

If you re-read the article that you cited and include the word NOT in that last sentence, then the whole thing is consistent and it makes sense. I think that the article is self-contradictory as it is written with the NOT omitted.

-PatP"

Provided Answers: 54
    Based on what I know of RS.EXE, I don't think that the VB.NET program can use the System.Data.SQLClient namespace.

If you re-read the article that you cited and include the word NOT in that last sentence, then the whole thing is consistent and it makes sense. I think that the article is self-contradictory as it is written with the NOT omitted.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 11
    That's what I was figuring as well. I even went so far as to confirm that I had the System.Data.dll in my both the 32-bit and 64-bit Framework directories, and started to guess that the System.Data namespace as a whole would never be available. Guess it is back to the drawing board for a deployment script.