Unanswered: Help with Informix server and linux client

We have an Informix server, version 2.81.UC2 running on a Redhat linux box that is controlled by a outside service, well mostly controlled but I don't want to fiddle with it and get fired for crashing three stores. Currently we use a windows version of the informix client, v3.81, on our PCs but I've been unable to get a client to connect from a linux server or desktop. I've tried twice in several months to get something to connect but keep crashing and burning so I want to get some input. With a ubuntu server or mint linux desktop OS what exactly should I be downloading from IBM and what version will work with this old informix version? The latest I've tried is clientsdk.3.7.0.FC8DE.LINUX.tar. I get the environmental variables set up INFORMIXDIR, etc, the odbc.ini, the odbcinst.ini and the sqlhosts file populated but I keep getting that it can't connect when I run isql. Before anyone says I have to post the files first before they can help please can someone just verify that the download I'm starting out with is compatible with the 2.81.UC2 version of informix. I keep thinking that I'm banging my head against a wall because the basic program itself isn't compatable but I don't know how to find out.

Thanks

Smile Help with Informix server and linux client - the ongoing saga

Since I need this working I've been slogging through and trying anything I can think of. Here is what I have tried so far.

Version 3.70.FC8DE - SDK linux driver 64 bit
    Version 4.10.FC6DE - SDK linux driver 64 bit
    Version 4.10.UC6DE - SDK linux driver 32 bit - after this failed as well I went back to the 64 bit.

All of these produce the same error below from isql -v ecspro

[S1000][unixODBC][Informix][Informix ODBC Driver][Informix]Database not found or no system permission. sqlerrm(systables)
    [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnecct

If I run the dbaccess program and try and connect to the database it looks like it connects, if I use the wrong username or password I get "951: Incorrect password or user ddd is not known on the database server." but the correct login/password nets me a connected at the bottom of the screen.

When I attempt to select a database I get:

329: Database not found or no system permission.
    2: No such file or directory

Here are the relevant files, I think.

sqlhosts:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    dataline_725 sesoctcp 10.1.2.1 20000
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

odbcinst.ini:
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    [ODBC Drivers]
    IBM INFORMIX ODBC DRIVER=Installed
    [IBM INFORMIX ODBC DRIVER]
    Driver=/opt/IBM/informix/lib/cli/iclit09b.so
    Setup=/opt/IBM/informix/lib/cli/iclit09b.so
    APILevel=1
    ConnectFunctions=YYY
    DriverODBCVer=03.51
    FileUsage=0
    SQLLevel=1
    smProcessPerConnect=Y
    ----------------------------------------------------------

odbc.ini
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [ODBC Data Sources]
    ecspro=IBM INFORMIX ODBC DRIVER
    admbs=IBM INFORMIX ODBC DRIVER
    ;
    ; Define ODBC Database Driver's Below - Driver Configuration Section
    ;
    [ecspro]
    Driver=/opt/IBM/informix/lib/cli/iclit09b.so
    Description=GV-PT Database
    Database=ecspro
    LogonID=fakeid
    pwd=fakepassword
    Servername=dataline_725
    [admbs]
    Driver=/opt/IBM/informix/lib/cli/iclis09b.so
    Description=Beth Database
    Database=admbs
    LogonID=fakeid
    pwd=fakepassword
    Servername=dataline_725

CursorBehavior=0
    ;CLIENT_LOCALE=en_us.8859-1
    CLIENT_LOCALE=en_CS.CP1252
    DB_LOCALE=en_US.CP152
    ;TRANSLATIONDLL=/opt/IBM/informix/lib/esql/igo4a304.so

;
    ; UNICODE connection Section
    ;
    [ODBC]
    ;uncomment the below line for UNICODE connection
    ;UNICODE=UCS-4
    ;
    ; Trace file Section
    ;
    Trace=0
    TraceFile=/opt/IBM/tmp/odbctrace.out
    InstallDir=/opt/IBM/informix
    TRACEDLL=/opt/IBM/informix/lib/cli/idmrs09a.so
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the environmental variables if have set

ODBCINST=/opt/IBM/informix/etc/odbcinst.ini
    INFORMIXDIR=/opt/IBM/informix
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/IBM/informix/lib/:/opt/IBM/informix/lib/cli:/opt/IBM/informix/lib/esql
    PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/opt/IBM/informix/bin
    INFORMIXSERVER=dataline_725
    ODBCINI=/opt/IBM/informix/etc/odbc.ini
    INFORMIXSQLHOSTS=/opt/IBM/informix/etc/sqlhosts

Most tutorials I've seen on installing informix drivers use just /opt/informix but the installer defaults to /opt/IBM/informix which is what I used.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, not in the here is my first born type of appreciation but appreciated none the less.

If you reply and I don't respond right away it's probably because I've managed to make reality go away for a while by judicial application of force from my skull to the nearest concrete wall.

from what I can tell, ou are neither using Informix 3.81 (that seems to be the client version) nor IDS, but "Informix SE 7.25", it the correct (try running "dbaccess -V" to verify)
    Please verify as well the sqlexec-deamon is running in "ps -ef",
    that is the listener in SE.
    As this is a productive system, and SE is out of date, I am not completely sure, but I think you can start it with a logfile option as well. The binary should be under $INFORMIXDIR/lib.
    Can you try thins on another system?