Unanswered: New Database Created but needs help with extra Features

Hello,

I'm not an expert at MS Access but I have some experience with making DB in the past using Access. As it currently stands the DB I created is pretty much just a digital version of a paper form. I've implemented it just to start storing data while i continually improve the features and functionality over time.

One of the things I need to do is to track when and who is accessing what record. The problem with that Is although we are on the same network we dont have any real microsoft user id or like most large corporations with roaming Microsoft ID. We all are ostensibly the same user just on different computers, so any automation or convenience that MS access or the vba code would be able to take from account info most likely won't.

Because of this I would like to force users to enter their initials, the date, and what they did when they accessed the record. I'd like a form with these fields to be dispalyed when a user tries to close the main form in the database. This would hopefully force the user to enter in who they are, date & time, and the reason for accessing the record. I figure the date and time part might be able to be autofilled but the initials field & Work Done field to be filled by the user.

Any hints or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

PS im on windows 10 running access 2007

Provided Answers: 59
    Get the network userif user the api calls from dev ashish... google it
    Google allen browne for help on an audit trail
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

That looks like something i can use but at the moment we arent using a typical domain & user environment. At the moment my coworkers and I are essentially just connected to the same lan but are working out of a local accounts with the same user ID.

Im trying to get the it admin to switch over to active directory but at the moment id like to figure out a way to force a a popup when trying to exit the form a popup appears that requires user to enter their initials and what they did. This would serve as a way to keep track of who does what then. I know using AD would simplify this whole thing but i guess until then I need to do this manually.

Provided Answers: 59
    You dont need to use active directory to use the network logon.
    But each user does have to to have a separate computer logon. That logon can be per machine. So when the user authenticates themselves on the local machine you use that logon.
    Alteratively look at the same api calls reference and use the computer ID api call.
    I have successfully used the combination of logon + comouter id + time as strong enough identity for legal and discipkinary purposes

If you cannot use network api the the fall back is to use the inbuilt Access 'security'. But for my purposes its too weak, too easily compromised ut it may be good enough for where you are. That is using the username function. Read up on Access security and using the workgroup file.

Remove the user admin in your workgroup file or give it little / few privileges as this the default Access userid. Place code in your application to check that user is not admin (if they tryto connect with admin it means they are probably circumventing the workgroup file.) Deploy your code as an mde /accde
    If its multi user deploy your app as two files, the so called split db model. A back end containjng data on a central shared URL. The front end contains all the user interface, forms & reports plus any local user data eg temporary tables. Ideally that front end should reside on each users local workstation. There is code in the code bank to manage the deployment.

Use a separate front/back end pair to develop. When ready to issue an app update, apply the data changes to the back end using SQL ddl, eg alter table or create table.
    Then copy the signed off front end to the new distribution location, relink to the live data back end then encrypt the new front end..

There's lots of info out there on this, and you really do need to go into detail what is required.

The biggst tip i can give is when using encrypted db's learn to be rigourus with your backups. Never mislay your development MDB's