Unanswered: Restoring DB backup image

Hi All,

I have a backup image on server A.
    I want to restore this backup image on server B.
    I can do it by copying the image to server B and then by performing redirect restore.
    But I want to perform this without copying the backup image on to server B. Is it possible to do? (without using TSM)

I was thinking that is it possible to share a FS across the servers and then performing the restore. is it possible? if yes ,then will it impact the performance/speed of restoration?

NOTE : I don't have much knowledge at OS level.

DB version : DB2 LUW 10.5

Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 18
    If the backup-image is in TSM, then your TSM-admin can set up a crossnode arrangement to allow it (depending on local policy and connectivity).
    If the backup-image is not in TSM, or if you extract it from TSM on the source environment (db2adutl), then you can NFS-mount source and target , set appropriate permissions, and then redirecy-restore from the nfs-mounted image. That will slow down the speed of the restore in proportion to the available bandwidth/latency of the network-link between target and source.
    If you lack the skills to do either approach, you might have to accept the need to copy the image between source and target.

Hi,

So you are saying that I can use NFS for performing this activity?

IF YES, then can I share an already existed FS on a server to the other server. or I need to add a new FS as an shared system.

If you have any link for gathering knowledge about NFS. please share.

Regards & cheers

Provided Answers: 18
    NFS won't 'perform the activity' , but it can enable it when properly exploited. Refer to any good Unix reference for NFS education. If pre-existing NFS export exist, and are suitably nfs-mounted , and if permissions are suitable, then you may be able to achieve what you need. It depends on your skills.