Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    3

    Unanswered: MS Access - Single User Issue on Split Database - within user computer

    Hello Everyone -
    I have an issue that has been driving me crazy.... I just can't seem to figure it out even with the help of some experts. Hopefully, one of you may have come across this problem and may offer some suggestions towards resolution.


    The Database:

    The database in this case is a multiple split database with a back end and distributed front end. it was created in Access 2010 which records sales per day. It's basically subform within a parent form.

    It also include access controls. A user's LAN ID is picked up when they open the application. The VBA code matches their LAN ID to a linked table....which is linked to the back end database. If they're LAN ID is in the table, they are able to reach the main menu and proceed to the sales sheet.

    If their LAN ID is not in the table, they will reach a form which just displays a customized error message... (basically instructing them to contact the administrator for assistance.)

    The Problem
    When the database was rolled out, we had a few issues with people logging in. A few just didn't have the correct LAN ID in the table....some just had to enable their settings (macros), and in one case, a user restarted their computer and it magically worked.

    The user in this case did not have a problem until their computer was replaced. They were picked up cached data from old tables in the drop down menus, but were still able to login to the application and "appear" to submit data. In reality, they were just sending data into the abyss....because no data was collected.

    Steps Taken So Far:
    1 - We confirmed that the issues was isolated to only this specific user's computer. The individual was able to successfully login to the database from another computer. (I also confirmed that they successfully sent data to the back end database from another computer)

    1a - The user had their MS Office software reinstalled, but that changed the issue....now they just go straight to the customized error message screen.

    2 - We've confirmed that all security settings are allowing Macros.... (basically verified that their settings matched users that did not have any issues)

    3 - We have restarted the computer.................

    4 - We tried a database without the login function so the user goes straight to the main menu.

    4a - The buttons on the main menu do not work on their computer.

    5 - We verified that the same MS Access version was installed on the user's computer


    Questions/Recap:
    So.....I know that this must be a very simple solution, but I have had no luck in finding any other alternate solutions other than what we went through above.

    1) Settings?:
    We have confirmed that the problem is isolated to the user's computer and that all trust center settings are matching others. Is there any other settings I should be checking to make the front database work on this person's computer?

    2) Unknown Factor (Sync?):
    I noticed that the user has a something on the MS Access 2010 properties (specifically the front end database file properties) which is an extra tab named "OFFLINE FILES." It states that "this file is offline with unresolved conflicts. Press "Sync" to synchronize and resolve conflicts."

    Would this have anything to do with the problem??? We tried to hit sync, but nothing happened....I'm guessing that this is related and may point to the root of the problem.



    Well, that's about it.... Like I said above, I'm sure it's got to be a very easy issue to fix,... but I'd greatly appreciate any and all suggestions you could offer to help me fix this issue.


    Thank you all very much!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    3

    Additonal Info

    I'd also like to add that this issue is affecting 1 out of 200 users and is the first of it's kind in almost a year since it was rolled out. It'm 99.999% certain that the user's computer or their MS Access settings must have something missing or incorrect. loL!

    Thank again everyone!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1

    Confirm that the VBA to find the LAN ID is correct

    Does the new computer have a different OS than the previous PC?

    Sometime the VB code may be OS specific or not work on all OS.

    I've had code work perfectly on Server 2012 but not on Windows 7 before.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    3

    OS requirements

    Quote Originally Posted by langer83 View Post
    Does the new computer have a different OS than the previous PC?

    Sometime the VB code may be OS specific or not work on all OS.

    I've had code work perfectly on Server 2012 but not on Windows 7 before.
    That's a great point! I will verify this tomorrow, but not convinced that's it since I had them try on an "unsecure " copy which was still "secure," but removed the login procedure.... the user was still unable to use the buttons on the main menu which are only driven by macros.

    It's still worth checking just to see if there are compatibility issues (I hope not....) so thanks for the suggestion!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •