Unanswered: Difference between rah and db2_all with example

DBAs,

Could someone please explain the difference between rah and db2_all? I understand that db2_all works on all db partitions and rah works on hosts. However, could you please explain the difference with example? Can db2_all be used if i need to update a db cfg parameter across all db partitions across hosts? In which all scenarios rah command can be used? I couldnt find much info on internet for rah command.

Thanks & Regards,
    Sonia

Provided Answers: 18
    Use rah when you want to run an AIX command on all hostnames (the command will run one time on each hostname).

Use db2_all when you want to run a command on all DB2 partitions.

Realise that a single hostname can run multple DB2-partitions of the same partitioned DB2-instance.

For example if a single hostname hosted 4 DB2-partitions on it, then the db2_all command will run the command four times (one per DB2-partition) on that hostname.

Another example, suppose I had 16 hostnames, each of which had 4 DB2-partitions of the same partitioned-DB2-instance running on them (so 64 DB2-partitions in total). The rah will run a command once on 16 hostnames. The db2_all will run the command 64 times (one per DB2-partition - four times per hostname).

Another example: if I have 8 hostnames , each of which only runs a single DB2-partition of the same partitioned DB2-instance (total 8 DB2-partitions). Then rah and db2_all will both run the command 8 times - once per hostname (and each host runs a single DB2-partition of the same partitioned-DB2-instance).

Thanks for the detailed reply. However, I still couldnt understand when rah should be used. Can you give example of when to use rah? I understand that db2_all can be used if i need to say update a db cfg parameter across all db partitions on all hosts.

Provided Answers: 18
    Suppose you wanted to change an AIX setting (or a Unix setting) on all hosts - that is to say, alter or query a kernel parameter, or query an operating system log file or run a command that is not directly related to DB2 then you could run rah.