Thread: Form/Report

Answered: Form/Report

Hey Guys,

So I have this challenge.

I have built a query at runtime where i am allowing a user to select options from a combinations of checkboxes and radio buttons. Now I would like to show the results in such a way that there is a checkbox at the beginning of record found. The user then click on the checkbox and hit a command button which would allow then to create an email and and hit send.

I have been playing around with generating reports but there no option to make them interactive.

Any ideas or direction?

Thank you!

nbkn8ct

2. Best Answer
    Posted by healdem

"do you expect to send more than one row to the same email recipient int he same email?

Access has several form styles. the main ones are single row (forget what its called) and continuous forms (where you show many rows spreadhseet like) and of course the abomination that is datasheet view.

the problems with continuous forms is that you cant, or at least Im pretty certain you can't) have an unbound control on each 'row' that affects only that row. I cant be sure becuase Im away and dont have Access on this device.

what (I think) you can do is place some code behind a controls on click event that is row specific. Eg show a column which contains the PK or sufficient data to resolve the PK, clicking that control triggers the email send code.

Personally in terms of UI design the fewer clicks or keyboard itneractions the better. It is a problem especailly if you mix mouse and keyboard events. the speed a skilled keyboard operator can reach, accurately when doing data entry is truly phenominal. throw in mouse on top and that speed and accuracy drops dramatically."

Provided Answers: 59
    if you need itneraction then use a form
    thats the access way of doing things
    if you want to do things a different way then use a different development environment
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thats what i thought too...however, how do i repeat column heading to show multiple records?

Provided Answers: 59
    do you expect to send more than one row to the same email recipient int he same email?

Access has several form styles. the main ones are single row (forget what its called) and continuous forms (where you show many rows spreadhseet like) and of course the abomination that is datasheet view.

the problems with continuous forms is that you cant, or at least Im pretty certain you can't) have an unbound control on each 'row' that affects only that row. I cant be sure becuase Im away and dont have Access on this device.

what (I think) you can do is place some code behind a controls on click event that is row specific. Eg show a column which contains the PK or sufficient data to resolve the PK, clicking that control triggers the email send code.

Personally in terms of UI design the fewer clicks or keyboard itneractions the better. It is a problem especailly if you mix mouse and keyboard events. the speed a skilled keyboard operator can reach, accurately when doing data entry is truly phenominal. throw in mouse on top and that speed and accuracy drops dramatically.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I just checked it and i think i can make that work! I can write code to pull an email from outlook when someone clicks on the rows! i dont have to resolve the name just have a body with standard text which user can edit! This is awesome idea!! thank you!