Unanswered: no idea where to start

ok so ive used ACCESS to build simple databases and know how the internal structure works and all of that, however at this company i picked up a job as the production planner and data analyzer, im looking for guidance on setting up a data base that tracks everything off of the production floor and generates daily weekly and monthly reports, as an example ill explain a normal day making "Tender Pops"
    step 1. cut meat into 9-12g chunks - track weight going in weight going out, lbs/manhour, and waste
    step 2. marination, weight goes into vacuum tumbler, weight comes out, need to track ingredient used per batch
    step 3 forming, mixed marinated batch goes into breader then into fryer then into insta freeze. - track individual weights and all waste
    step 4 bagging - track weight of bags (average) track poly waste(plastic)
    step 5 x-ray - not much to track
    step 6 cartoner, track how many cartons are used, how many are lost and for what reason were they lost
    step 7 palletizing and case up track how many cases were made
    step 8 track and calculate man hours for every step

and as you can imagine even the daily report is a bit....ridiculous

currently we are using excel for everything and i can manage it however i can see how bad we need to find a way to use Access to make a DB, i use just myself 13 workbooks each with 5-10 spreadsheets each just for daily reports, that number doubles for weekly and monthly reports.

im really just looking for a push in the right direction or maybe even perhaps a tool designed to track this sort of thing, we are trying to do this DB as cost effective as possible so we are leaving IMS and similar systems to the side.

thank you everyone in advance for your help

Provided Answers: 22
    I just built something similar.
    I have a form the user picks the event in a combo box.
    (Your steps 1-8 above)
    Then they click the START button. This starts the timer.
    When they finish they're work ,they click STOP, the end time is recorded, then the user,job,start and end time are posted to the table.

that would great if there were digital equipment on the production floor, i have to take production worksheets and input them into excel manually, then create reports manually, its very annoying and tiresome, im looking for something i can go page by page and enter all the values and it spits out reports and holds onto say 4 years of daily logs. if anyone has somewhere i can learn to make this or a guide or template that would be amazing.

P.S. the image verification thing is very hard to read and is rarely accurate does this ever go away?

Provided Answers: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by arcanise View Post
    that would great if there were digital equipment on the production floor, i have to take production worksheets and input them into excel manually, then create reports manually, its very annoying and tiresome, im looking for something i can go page by page and enter all the values and it spits out reports and holds onto say 4 years of daily logs. if anyone has somewhere i can learn to make this or a guide or template that would be amazing.

P.S. the image verification thing is very hard to read and is rarely accurate does this ever go away?
    Look like you have found your starting point the Worksheets thats where I would start.
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

thats where im looking for guidance, i have no idea where to start