Question Answered: MS Access to query Oracle DB: recreate all source table relationships in MS Access?

Hello everyone. I signed up to this forum because I was just given access to large Oracle database that I am accessing using MS Access. I am trying to run some queries on this DB via Access but I am running into some issues. I have been toying with it for about a month now without achieving any significant results.

At this point I would like to ask a starter question: do I need to recreate table relationships (one-to-many etc.) that already exist in the source Oracle DB if I want to use MS Access to run my queries?

The source database (Oracle) is made up of dozens of tables with up to dozens of fields but I do not seem to be able to recreate the relationships in MS Access as they are in the Oracle DB. Reformulating my question: can I run my queries (multiple inner joins) in MS Access without having to redefine all the tables relationships in MS Access so far I have not been able to, Access will not allow queries between tables unless a relationship is defined between said tables?

Thank you in advance for any insights you may share.

Publi

2. Best Answer
    Posted by ranman256

"You can make the relationships. The only real ones needed are the parent/child.

You DON'T need the relationships to make queries."

Provided Answers: 22
    You can make the relationships. The only real ones needed are the parent/child.

You DON'T need the relationships to make queries.

Provided Answers: 3
    Last edited by informer; 09-15-16 at 02:39.

Thanks for that answer ranman256.

You DON'T need the relationships to make queries
    It helps to have it confirmed.
    If this is the case, could it be that the reason MS Access is not letting me create queries unless relationships are defined is because I am using the query wizard? While if I just wrote out the SQL code myself, MS Access will run it without issue?