Unanswered: Referencing the result from a SearchRecord

Hi,

I have a form that pulls data from a read only external table. To be precise, a barcode is scanned, and Names and ID # corresponding to that barcode is pulled from the external table and displayed on the form. The form has some other check-box options to track certain training activities. The form saves data to a table local to the database. Here is the issue:
    Suppose person A's barcode is scanned and his name and ID are pulled up, and I then check 'check-box 1' ON and the data is saved to the local table. At a later instant, person A's barcode is scanned again, and this time 'checkbox-2' is checked ON. This creates another entry/row in the local table. Is there a way to add the new data (checkbox-2) to the existing row for person A? An idea I have is to do a SearchRecord and then check if person A is already in the local table. If so, use some code to link the check-boxes to the corresponding fields in that row. However, I am not sure how to reference a search result (or match) in VBA. Is this a good approach? Could someone help me with this?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 24
    You don't need vba. The local table should join the master table on the ID.
    ID# 123,
    Should have 2 records. Chbox1 and ChkBox2, each value either true/false.
    Or
    Add chkBox2 to the 1 record in the local table. As:
    [id],chk1,chk2
    123, true,false

Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    Add chkBox2 to the 1 record in the local table. As:
    [id],chk1,chk2
    123, true,false
    Hi, Thanks for your reply but I did not quite understand what you said. If ID 123 is already in the local table (with checkbox-1 = ON and checkbox-2 = OFF), and later I check checkbox-2 ON, how can I link it to the checkbox-2 cell corresponding to ID 123's already existing row in the table?

Thanks!

Lookup record before creating new record.

the source table for the form (that gets populated) should have fields for these checkboxes. In fact, any editable field should reference a field on that table). If this is already the case, read on...

When a record is scanned, you should be doing a lookup first, if that record (barcode) is not found, I would suggest a prompt for new record (that is how I have done it in the past).