Thread: Paradox Export

Unanswered: Paradox Export

Morning,

I've inherited an old Paradox database and been tasked with exporting the data into a SQL Server cache. The Paradox tables have a '.DB' extension and are Paradox 4.0 type.

I've managed to open and export some of the tables into Excel using a free tool called 'Paradox dBase Access Reader'. However, this only allows me to export tables one at a time and as I have over 1000 tables I'm not keen on a mammoth Excel export clicking session.

Are there any free tools or methods which could be used for a batch export of all our tables into Excel or any other format which could be picked up by SSIS?

Thanks for any assistance.

first, obvious question is, why are you exporting them away from data table format, into a spreadsheet? it would probably be easy to use VB to port the tables directly into Excel, but again, why?

you could use Paradox itself to export in a batch, to any number of formats, including xls, or use another data format the same way.. most modern data platforms can import/export just about every data format
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

I'm needing the tables to be in a format importable to SQL Server or consumable by SSIS. Within Paradox I can see the Export tool but this only allows individual table export, I can't see any batch options.

most modern data platforms can import/export just about every data format
    If you can suggest a few this would help as anything modern can be consumed with SSIS. As yet I've not found any packages which can directly read the .DB table files, except office 2007.

> Within Paradox I can see the Export tool but this only allows individual table export, I can't see any batch options.

you gotta write a couple of lines of code.. to use VB in excel, you gotta write a couple of lines of code.. with any database tool, you gotta write a couple of lines of code.. :-)

> except office 2007.

all version of office and word perfect office have paradox tables as an option..

the problem with using excel as an option, you're increasing the odds, greatly, of fields getting imported in the wrong format.. numeric alpha as number, and vice versa..

and ultimately, the sql tool you use can query every table, in a loop, and use the results.. again, you gotta use a little bit of code, and imagination..

my point being.. a paradox table is just as good of a temp storage option as any other table format.. once you know what your ultimate needs are, and have selected a platform / language to use, use that to convert the tables.. if you go paradox to excel now, you're just gonna go excel to something else, later..
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too