Provided Answers: 2

Question Answered: Update Global Temporary Table (Sample code provided)

I have been working in T-SQL for many years and need to transition to DB2. I'm finding the syntax is different in many areas so I'm trying to adjust and become better acclimated with this. I can not get my code to Update a temporary table. I am supplying a sample code just for sake of an example. Can someone please advise where I am going wrong with this? I am only using 2 tables just to make it simple as to what I am trying to accomplish as my real code has many other ways I need to update data.

I keep getting an error at the FROM part.

Code:
    DECLARE GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE SESSION.TEST_TABLE
    (
    TMP_TIME	TIMESTAMP(6)	,
    TMP_ORDER_ID	INTEGER,
    TMP_PRIORITY_CODE	CHARACTER(8
    ) 
    ON COMMIT PRESERVE ROWS not logged with replace;

insert into SESSION.TEST_TABLE 
    select distinct
    ORDER_TIME,
    ORDER_ID,
    NULL
    from
    TABLE 1
    where 
    ORDER_TIME between '8/1/2016' and '8/3/2016'

UPDATE SESSION.TEST_TABLE
    SET
    TMP_PRIORITY_CODE = priority_code
    FROM
    TABLE 2
    WHERE
    TMP_ORDER_ID = PRIORITY_ORDER_ID;

select * from SESSION.TEST_TABLE;

drop table SESSION.TEST_TABLE;

2. Best Answer
    Posted by db2mor

"UPDATE session.test_table T set T.tmp_priority_code = (select S.priority_code from table2 S where S.priority_order_id = T.tmp_order_id)

MERGE is an SQL statement (also in t-sql) which can combine inserts/updates/delete in single statement, and you can also merge into a session table.
    Depending on cardinalities, you may need to index+runstats the session table appropriately , and ensure the other table is suitably indexed, if you need to scale."

Provided Answers: 27
    Post the exact error code, the line that's failing, the DB2-version+fixpack and platform(Windows/Aix/Os400/Z-os).
    Your sample syntax is invalid for the Update statement , and that's nothing to do with the DGTT as far as I can see - you might use a correlated subselect there . Also consider if you can achieve the overall aim with a suitable merge statement instead of insert+update.

10:51:12.617 DBMS EDT6P -- [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/AIX64] SQL0104N An unexpected token "FROM" was found following "CODE = priority_code". Expected tokens may include: "CONCAT". SQLSTATE=42601

It falls on the UPDATE line and I'm using DB2 10.5 via my Embarcadero Rapid SQL tool.

The message indicates your syntax is invalid. You did not post the failing statement. Have you fixed your broken UPDATE syntax or used MERGE?

I am giving you the error message:

[IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/AIX64] SQL0104N An unexpected token "FROM" was found following "CODE = priority_code". Expected tokens may include: "CONCAT". SQLSTATE=42601
    (42601,-104).

I'm trying to understand what is wrong with my syntax. Why doesn't it like the "From" based on the example I provided? Not sure what you mean by Merge?

UPDATE session.test_table T set T.tmp_priority_code = (select S.priority_code from table2 S where S.priority_order_id = T.tmp_order_id)

MERGE is an SQL statement (also in t-sql) which can combine inserts/updates/delete in single statement, and you can also merge into a session table.
    Depending on cardinalities, you may need to index+runstats the session table appropriately , and ensure the other table is suitably indexed, if you need to scale.

I can't believe I missed that. I took that approach but did not assign an alias to the temp table in the sub select statement. That worked. Thank you so much.