Answered: DB2 HADR - gather archived logs to TSM

Hello all,

I am trying to set up HADR replication between two servers, which, by itself is pretty straightforward. But in my configuration, I would like to set up the archive log destination on primary to be TSM --> LOGARCHMETH1 = TSM

Will this work the same, as if the LOGARCHMETH1 would be set to somewhere on the local disk ( /db2/log_archives for example ) ?

I have found this on the web: http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledge.../c0020882.html

As I understand this note from IBM, the primary's archive logs are backed up to TSM and if the roles are switched between the primary and standby, the standby writes archive logs to TSM as well. My question is, has anyone tried to set up HADR in this regard ? Does it function fine, or are there any drawbacks to this type of setup regarding gaps in replication, performance issues or similar... ?

Thanks and best regards,
    kwhtre

2. Best Answer
    Posted by db2mor

"I use TSM for log archival on HADR databases. The TSM client has to be correctly configured on all HADR nodes, that's not automatic.

So both the primary and the standby(s) need to be configured to archive to TSM.

They can use the same TSM-server, but will have different tsm-nodenames configured.

Sometimes when there is a role switch, planned or by force, it can take a long time for databases to reach connected-peer, and sometimes they don't reach that state and require intervention. But I think that's due to HADR issues and not to TSM. Hence I don't know any drawbacks that are specific to TSM usage in this scenario. It's easy to retrieve from TSM on demand either on primary or standby."

Provided Answers: 27
    I use TSM for log archival on HADR databases. The TSM client has to be correctly configured on all HADR nodes, that's not automatic.

So both the primary and the standby(s) need to be configured to archive to TSM.

They can use the same TSM-server, but will have different tsm-nodenames configured.

Sometimes when there is a role switch, planned or by force, it can take a long time for databases to reach connected-peer, and sometimes they don't reach that state and require intervention. But I think that's due to HADR issues and not to TSM. Hence I don't know any drawbacks that are specific to TSM usage in this scenario. It's easy to retrieve from TSM on demand either on primary or standby.

Provided Answers: 45
    Hello,

Yes, it's a widely used setup. I did it myself a number of times, and some my customers use it as well.
    I haven't heard on any problems with such a setup.
    Regards,
    Mark.

Ok, thanks for your answers guys.

Regards,
    Kwhtre