Seeking help for a product-finder web-app project

Greetings from chilly Detroit!

I'm looking to build a highly technical product-finder website. The goal is to allow users to choose 1 or more industries (e.g., electronics, aerospace), 1 or more domains (e.g., heat-exchanger, rotor, pump), and then display a set of products that match these search filters. I'd also like to allow users to specify advanced filters such as price, region, material (steel or plastic), etc.

In addition, I would also like to display a matching set of articles, jobs, trade-show events, etc. based on the top-level industries and domains selection.

What would be the best architecture for such a web-based application? In each case the listing content will comprise mainly text, images and some video. I imagine have a database drive all search queries/results would be most efficient as opposed to using tags, attributes, etc.

Thanks in advance for helping a total newbie out! Best regards,

Joe

Why don't you just buy an off-the-shelf offering that gives you what you need?
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by gvee View Post
    Why don't you just buy an off-the-shelf offering that gives you what you need?
    That would be great - any suggestions for what works well?
    BTW, is it possible to use a simpler captcha? Most are quite illegible. Thanks,

Cheers for a safe & productive 2017.