Unanswered: Excel VBA - Return pictures from another folder based on a dropdown

Hi,

Still fairly new user of Excel VBA.
    I have developed a dashboard with a dropdown list displaying the names of staff members from my dpt.
    I would like to dynamically return the pic of the staff selected in the dropdown. The pictures bear the exact same name as the name of the staff +".png" at the end. The pics are saved in a folder on our Q drive.

Could anyone please help?

Another question (unrelated to the above): how do you make the VBA to start automatically when a selection is made in the dropdown list (which is supposed to trigger my vba but I can see that I have to also select a random cell afterwards to trigger it which can cause some issues).

Many thanks and Merry X-mas everybody!

weejas is offline Grumpy old man (training)
    Provided Answers: 17
    To answer the second part first, you'd put the code in the combo box's On Change event (including a check for null values).
    Air code for first part, using the second part as an example:
    Code:
    Private Sub cmbSelStaffNames_Change()

Dim strPath As String

On Error GoTo CSSNC_FDGB

If cmbSelStaffNames Is Null Then Exit Sub

strPath = "Q:\Mugshots\" & cmbSelStaffNames.Value & ".png"

imgMugshot.Source = strPath
    imgMugshot.Visible = True
    Me.Repaint

CSSNC_Exit:

Exit Sub

CSSNC_FDGB:

MsgBox "Error " & Err & " has occurred for staff member " & cmbSelStaffNames.Value & ":" & vbCrLf & Error & vbCrLf & "Please investigate or report.", vbCritical, "Can't find mugshot"

GoTo CSSNC_Exit

End Sub
    NB
    I haven't worked with varying the source for image objects, so the above might not work, but hopefully it'll steer you in the right direction.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.
    Beers earned: 2

you can also insert the picture from drag drop. just pick picture and drag and drop in the excel