Which path to take?

I have recently been tasked with creating several small databases or one larger one. We have three business systems that I would like to integrate: parts inventory, a maintenance log of sorts, and material requisition. I am not sure which database solution to go with. I am looking for recommendations on which software to use for the back end and which to use for the front end.

I am not new to sql nor to front end work. I have a few Access databases in place already, but there are some constraints that seem to make it less practical for our company. I have Visual Studio and am learning C# and a couple of others.

Your suggestions are welcome!

Thanks.

I don't know your budget, but you could use MS SQL Express for your back end. It doesn't have some of the enterprise features, like backup utility but you could use Windows Scheduler to execute an SQL command for backing up your tables. it's free too and easy migration from Access to MS SQL Server.

This sounds like a large project where you'll need to pull in the business users in and technical folks and white board the systems.

I think Visual Studio is a great tool and if you are learning C#, build a web front end. Sounds like a cool project.

Database path

Yeah, it looks like it could be a sizeable project, not to mention a potential 50 users, or so. So, you think C# is a good tool for creating the front end? I already have some forms created in Access - I don't suppose there is a way to import them into C#...like design text files or xml or something?

Quote Originally Posted by mjdemaris View Post
    Yeah, it looks like it could be a sizeable project, not to mention a potential 50 users, or so. So, you think C# is a good tool for creating the front end? I already have some forms created in Access - I don't suppose there is a way to import them into C#...like design text files or xml or something?
    I'm not sure about the front end to be honest, my background is data analysis and reporting, so more on the data warehouse side with SSIS and SSAS experience. Instead of undergoing a massive project you could migrate the tables to the SQL back end and continue to use your forms from Access for your first iteration. Once the database is up and running on MS SQL Server, you can start to set up your indexes etc to optimize the speed. The once you get that completed you could then begin to build your front end.

To answer your question you most certainly can build a front end using C#. In fact you can build some pretty bad ass solutions.

Database Path

SAS, huh? My boss just asked me to look into third party software vs me developing our own systems. I prefer to develop our own, but I've been evaluating on premise and SAS the last week or so.

I never imagined it would be so damn expensive! But, that's the cost of doing business.