Unanswered: Advice required for DB design

I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to coding.
    I hired a guy who's a bit of a PHP guru to do some DB re-design for me, on an "app" that first saw the light of day about 20 years ago.
    This young whippersnapper altered the reads that already existed and I'd just like a second opinion on the efficiency of what he's done.
    Previously, this was done in MS Access, with several pieces of data associated with a particular year, these pieces of data were generally stored within an array in a single record.
    When changed to PHP/MySQL, the new design involved each of these pieces of data being stored as one record.
    Is there any scenario where this would be more efficient that what was already in place?
    TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrowlad View Post
    I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to coding.
    I hired a guy who's a bit of a PHP guru to do some DB re-design for me, on an "app" that first saw the light of day about 20 years ago.
    This young whippersnapper altered the reads that already existed and I'd just like a second opinion on the efficiency of what he's done.
    Previously, this was done in MS Access, with several pieces of data associated with a particular year, these pieces of data were generally stored within an array in a single record.
    When changed to PHP/MySQL, the new design involved each of these pieces of data being stored as one record.
    Is there any scenario where this would be more efficient that what was already in place?
    TIA.
    Perhaps I should qualify this by saying that every piece of data associated with a given year is ALWAYS printed.

Provided Answers: 9
    hard for us to say one way or another. Is there a specific problem that you are experiencing?

Quote Originally Posted by DNance View Post
    hard for us to say one way or another. Is there a specific problem that you are experiencing?
    Not at this time, but as the number of users increases my fear is that I/O becomes a bit of a bottleneck on the server.