Unanswered: Complete noob to Informix - Need to access Informix SE database files

I have a few .dat and associated .idx files that I need to access. They are contained in a .dbs folder, and I have read on online sources that this indicates that they were originally created using Informix SE.

I have Informix SE installed, however I don't know how to use it. I am using this on a Windows 7 OS. I have read documents such as "IBM Informix SE Installation and Configuration Guide" and "IBM Informix SE Administrator’s Guide". They reference something called sqlhosts which is supposed to be located at a specific location in the registry for Windows platforms, however it isn't there. Right now I am just trying to create a new database server using setnet32.exe (if that is the right thing to use) to get a feel for the software. When I use dbaccess.exe which was also supplied, I get the error "The INFORMIXSERVER value is not listed in the sqlhosts file." whilst trying to connect to a database server.

My question is am I even doing this correctly, as I can't seem to create something as simple as a database server? Furthermore, I also want to be able to view the old database files I was given. Can anyone give a quick tutorial on the basics of using Informix SE to create and view database servers and databases (as I am a complete beginner to this software)? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Hi,

to be honest, I have never used Informix SE under Windows, only Linux, because all documentation for SE is at least 20 years old and was never updated for Windows, as far as I know. So I strongly recommend you to use Linux instead of Windows.

The sqlhosts is the basic connectivity file for all Informix products and is normally located under $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts
    Windows uses CSDK / Iconnect instead which can be configured using setnet32. So far, so good.

Nevertheless, on Linux you need to start the sqlexecd - daemon in order to make a connection over the network. You have to start it from $INFORMIXDIR/lib/sqlexecd as root, as I recall, with Environment set for Informix (INFORMIXDIR/INFORMIXSERVER/DBPATH). Afterwards it "should" work to start dbaccess,
    But for Windows... I think it should be similar, but as I said, I never tried....