Unanswered: Backup not generated in Oracle 11g

Hi,

I have 3 schema's of almost equal sizes, off which only two are creating the backup's (Hot backup). One of the schema's is not creating any backup, by not creating I mean, the backup file that is generated size is too small than the other two files.

The size of the other two backup files is almost 20 GB while the third one is only 54 Bytes !!!

Below are the commands I am using for backup,

alter tablespace SCHEMA begin backup;

tar cpvf - SCHEMA_TS | compress -f > backup.tar.Z

The DB (Oracle Database 11g) is in Archive log mode and no error is being thrown while running the above commands.

Could you please help me in solving this issue.

Any reference related to this would also be of great help.

Thanks in advance !!

why are you using tar? You should be using RMAN or EXPDP, both of which are licensed by the oracle license and are designed to backup an oracle database.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Hi Bill,

I am new to Oracle DB and this backup script was written by someone else, I am currently trying to use RMAN to create backup's, but wanted to solve this issue too.

Could you please suggest some ways to take backup which is easy to restore later ?

Thanks in advance !!

Hi Bill,

The issue got solved. The problem was with tar, had an add an extra option -E (since the size of tablespace is greater than 25 GB).

If possible could you suggest ways(most popular/most used/suggested) on how Oracle DB is backed up.

Thanks in advance..

Provided Answers: 5
    Didn't you (carefully) read Bill's message? It is RMAN. You could use EXPDP as well, but that's not "really" a backup, it is just an export (but might be OK for certain purposes).

Yes,
    RMAN is specifically designed by oracle to backup and restore oracle databases. It also handles the archive logs correctly if your database is running in archivelog mode (always use archivelog for production databases).
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.