Unanswered: Workgroup Security

I thought I posted this yesterday, however I do not see it. trying again.

We have 3 Access DB's that were created a long time ago and we have been using Access 2003 to access the DBs without a problem.
    HQ is requiring everyone to start using MS Office 2016 Pro Plus.
    Which is great, the only problem is the Access DBs were set up using the Workgroup Security from Access 2003. I was able to get workgroup Security to work in Access 2010 however now what I try to open up the DB's in Access 2016 I am getting "cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application"
    I go to the Help and it says to do a "compact and repair", went to the web page that it suggests to go to, to do that and it does not help me out. As my user name implies I am a newbie to DB to some extent. I don't know where to go to run it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

R

weejas is offline Grumpy old man (training)
    Provided Answers: 17
    I go to the Help and it says to do a "compact and repair", went to the web page that it suggests to go to, to do that and it does not help me out.
    What actually happens? We've got a good idea that it didn't help, or you wouldn't be posting here!

This link offers some pointers on what to do instead of using workgroups. I generally prefer to restrict databases to named AD accounts with Dev Ashish's functions to identify the current user - eliminates the need for passwords.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.
    Beers earned: 2

Compact and Repair????

Quote Originally Posted by weejas View Post
    What actually happens? We've got a good idea that it didn't help, or you wouldn't be posting here!

This link offers some pointers on what to do instead of using workgroups. I generally prefer to restrict databases to named AD accounts with Dev Ashish's functions to identify the current user - eliminates the need for passwords.

The web page tells you to do a compact and repair. I don't know how or where to do the compact and repair. from looking at the information on that webpage (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...or=-2147217396) it looks like the compact and repair is for .accdb and not for .mdb.

I went to the link you provided, and it says go to the Database Tools tab, in the Administrator group, Click users and permissions however when i open up the DB I don't have Administrator Group under the Database tools.

I know very little about Access Database stuff. just enough to get by.

Thanks,

Compact and repair works for all versions of Access. It's a means of releasing unused data within the application (e.g. from deleted records) and making sure that all indices are up to date.

For versions before 2007, you can find this under Tools -> Database Utilities -> Compact and Repair Database. Post 2007, you want the Database Tools section of the Ribbon and then the button Compact and Repair Database.

WARNING! This can cause issues, so always take a copy of the file before carrying out the process.

I don't know what your workload is, or how mission critical these databases are, but you might want to investigate rebuilding them in the latest version.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Compact and Repair

Thank you for the information on where to go to do a compact and repair. I will give it a try this week.

Someone else at HQ is looking into creating a SQL DB. this DB has been around close to 20 year or more.

Thanks again. I will post back what the results are or if i have any other issues.

You're welcome, and good luck!

(We have an application composed of a varying number of interlocking Access databases that's nearly 20 years old. They keep promising to replace it, but it's still here...)

Workgroup Permissions

Weejas

I know it has been a while since I posted my original posting. Just have too many fires in the building to put out before getting back to this issue. At least the end users have a work-around.
    Update.
    I was able to do the Compact and Repair however I am still getting the message "cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application" after I join the Workgroup and open up the DB.
    That workgroup is from the previous versions of Access (2003 or even older).
    Is there anything I can do. Workgroups works with Access 2003, 2007, 2010 but not Access 2016.

Thanks,
    Robin
    Last edited by newbie2db; 06-19-17 at 14:23.

I know the feeling. Two weeks ago, I spent a few days running the same SQL statement over a live system repeatedly, because no-one had thought to check the required scope of a change.

The link that I posted in the first reply has a note about using workgroup security with Access 2010 and later. You need to use command line switches, which is a pain. The easiest way to achieve this is to create a shortcut, and distribute the shortcut to the users. I have one that I use on a sporadic basis - the shortcut's target is:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Virtual\2000\Access\Access.exe" "Q:\Long\Very\Deep\Directory\Structure\DatabaseFileName.mdb" /wrkgrp "Q:\Long\Very\Deep\Directory\Structure\WorkgroupFileName.mdw"
    If a shortcut doesn't work for you, you're left with copying the database objects to a new file and either using the new built in security options or building your own.

Shortcut with command line switch

Unfortunately the shortcut didn't work. I get the same message "cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application" so frustrating.
    We will have to wait for Corporate to recreate the DB or whatever they want to do.
    Thanks for all your help and suggestions Weejas..