I'm not sure where to post this, please let me know if I got the wrong place.

I work in the finance dept of a small insurance group of insurance related companies (brokerage, etc.). I'd like to build an application to handle commissions for our producers (sales ppl) so that we have a centralized database that we can easily query to determine when commission was paid on a certain policy, which client belongs to which person, etc. and be able to handle data entry and generate commission statements. I've put together an excel spreadsheet to handle data entry as well as an excel file that uses a little SQL to generate commission statements. It works, but its not ideal, so I've been considering building an alternative.

The question: what do I use to build it? I've considered Access, but my limited tinkering with Forms never seems to quite work out the way I want. Is Access the way to go (and I need to work on it) or is there something else that would be better? I have SQL experience, but very little programming experience.

TL;DR version: Need to build an application to handle sales commission, know SQL, don't know programming - what do I use?

TIA!