Answered: Understanding DB2 databases

I am trying to learn DB2 (10.5) and have a simple question that I can't seem to find an answer for. Can an installed instance of DB2 on window have multiple databases or is each instance considered the database?

In MS SQL server you have the installed instance/ databases / schemas / SQL Objects

In DB2 it seems to be installed instance / schemas / SQL Objects.

Is that right? If I want two DB2 databases on a single windows server would that require two installed instances?

Like I said, simple question but I just can't seem to find a clear answer.

Thank you!

2. Best Answer
    Posted by db2mor

"I think the documentation in the Knowledge Center explains this matter well enough, but you do need to spend the hours studying that documentation.

Yes: an instance of DB2 can contain multiple local databases inside it. So a single Windows-Server hostname could (depending on RAM/disk/CPU resources allocated) run more than one concurrent DB2-instance.
    The decision as to whether to use a multi-tenanted DB2-instance (i.e. one that contains more than one local database) versus two or more DB2-instances each containing one database is often based on factors like the isolation/independence, service-level differences, maintenance window differences etc.

The containment model is: virtual-machine/hostname/lpar can contain zero or more DB2-instances, each DB2-instance can contain zero or more local databases. And depending on the DB2-versions in use, multiple different instances of DB2-server concurrently running in a single hostname can either be different versions or the same versions of DB2. Each physical database can contain multiple schemas, each of which can contain multiple objects.

Additionally, a single DB2-instance can span multiple hostnames (a partitioned DB2-instance) if the DB2 license allows it, and the partitioned instance can span either multiple logical and/or multiple physical nodes."

Provided Answers: 25
    I think the documentation in the Knowledge Center explains this matter well enough, but you do need to spend the hours studying that documentation.

Yes: an instance of DB2 can contain multiple local databases inside it. So a single Windows-Server hostname could (depending on RAM/disk/CPU resources allocated) run more than one concurrent DB2-instance.
    The decision as to whether to use a multi-tenanted DB2-instance (i.e. one that contains more than one local database) versus two or more DB2-instances each containing one database is often based on factors like the isolation/independence, service-level differences, maintenance window differences etc.

The containment model is: virtual-machine/hostname/lpar can contain zero or more DB2-instances, each DB2-instance can contain zero or more local databases. And depending on the DB2-versions in use, multiple different instances of DB2-server concurrently running in a single hostname can either be different versions or the same versions of DB2. Each physical database can contain multiple schemas, each of which can contain multiple objects.

Additionally, a single DB2-instance can span multiple hostnames (a partitioned DB2-instance) if the DB2 license allows it, and the partitioned instance can span either multiple logical and/or multiple physical nodes.

Provided Answers: 1
    Check out this tutorial.

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/db2/