Unanswered: HADR test - Simulate database crash

Hi All,

I'm running DB2 10.5 Fix pack 8 on an AIX box. I have an HADR standby database setup on a separate server and I configured WebSphere to reroute on failure to connect to the primary. Does anyone know of a way to simulate a database crash. I created a separate test database to see if I could crash it before testing this on the actual primary database.

I cannot stop DB2 or the instance because there are additional active databases that cannot be interrupted. I tried to rename the database and transaction log file directories but that didn't seem to work. I also forced off users and QUIESCED the database but that didn't stop me from reconnecting and running queries. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 45
    Hi,

It's not clear what you want to test exactly.
    Db2 doesn't switch the database roles automatically itself upon any failure. Normally, some cluster software like TSAMP does it.
    If you want to test db2 ACR, just run takeover db command on standby, and see, if your apps can reestablish their connections to the new primary automatically.
    Regards,
    Mark.

Hi Mark, I'm new to HADR. I thought the DB2 Automatic Reroute Option in Websphere would do the switch automatically if it cannot make a connection to the primary database. In case of a failure, is manually running the takeover command the proper way to switch?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WAS.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	17407

Provided Answers: 45
    Besides seting these parameters in WS, you have to set ALTERNATE SERVER for both hadr databases to point to its pair.
    (UPDATE ALTERNATE SERVER FOR DATABASE)
    https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledg.../c0011976.html
    You can try to set these WS properties afterwards, run your application, takeover hadr on standby, and see what happens.
    Regards,
    Mark.