Answered: Db2 SQL Replication Apply program problem

Hi,

Linux / db2 10.5 fix pack 8

I'm trying to set up SQL Replication on a single table between two databases. The capture program starts with no issue. I'm having a problem starting the apply program. I'm receiving the following error in the db2inst1.DEV_01.MYQUAL1.APP.log file.

2017-08-14-05.41.56.665937 <recoveryMgr::erWhatSignal> ASN0569E "Apply" : "MYQUAL1" : "Initial" : The program encountered an internal error "SIGSEGV". The program will terminate.

Here is the start apply command i'm using:

asnapply control_server=dev_01 apply_qual=MYQUAL1 apply_path=/home/db2inst1/replication/apply_logs pwdfile=asnpwd.aut

Has anyone encountered this before? I found one post that said to change the ulimits but that didn't seem to help. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

2. Best Answer
    Posted by jim-stewart

"Hi John,

I have not seen an SigSegV in SQL Apply in a long time. I just have guesses to offer.

Guess #1 - how old is the asnpwd.aut file? Was it built with the ASNPWD command from 10.5? I saw some issues back in 10.1 when a AUT file was built in a previous version of Db2 and was being read by a more current version of Apply. That has not happened a while so it's a guess. The problem was in the encrypt and decrypt routines. The encrypt was done when ASNPWD was used and the decrypt is run by Apply current version to read it.

Guess #2 - try an apply_path without the underscore special character "_". Eg. apply_path=/home/db2inst1/replication/applylogs (vs apply_logs). I just have a Windows box to play with so I can't test to see if that's really the cause. If removing the underscore does work definitely call IBM and report a bug.

Something to try #3 - run apply with the extra keywords TRCFLOW and TRCFILE. That will build a MYQUAL1.TRC in the apply_path with trace info. Upload that file and I'll see if anything stands out.

All the best,
    Jim Stewart"

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi John,

I have not seen an SigSegV in SQL Apply in a long time. I just have guesses to offer.

Guess #1 - how old is the asnpwd.aut file? Was it built with the ASNPWD command from 10.5? I saw some issues back in 10.1 when a AUT file was built in a previous version of Db2 and was being read by a more current version of Apply. That has not happened a while so it's a guess. The problem was in the encrypt and decrypt routines. The encrypt was done when ASNPWD was used and the decrypt is run by Apply current version to read it.

Guess #2 - try an apply_path without the underscore special character "_". Eg. apply_path=/home/db2inst1/replication/applylogs (vs apply_logs). I just have a Windows box to play with so I can't test to see if that's really the cause. If removing the underscore does work definitely call IBM and report a bug.

Something to try #3 - run apply with the extra keywords TRCFLOW and TRCFILE. That will build a MYQUAL1.TRC in the apply_path with trace info. Upload that file and I'll see if anything stands out.

All the best,
    Jim Stewart

Thank you Jim. I found the actual problem but it's good to know about the trace options. I actually had the capture database name in the apply script.

asnapply control_server=dev_01 apply_qual=MYQUAL1 apply_path=/home/db2inst1/replication/apply_logs pwdfile=asnpwd.aut

Hi John,

That sounds like a bug. Apply should not yark like that. Something more informative should come out along the lines of "failed to find MYQUAL1" or unable to find the Apply IBMSNAP tables. I'll pass this along to someone I know in the support group and try duplicating the error with my Windows copy of SQL Apply.

Cheers,
    Jim

Edit: I just tried it with Windows 10.5 Fp8 and got the same error. I ran with a trace and can see: *** SQL ERROR ***: SQL0204N "ASN.IBMSNAP_SUBS_SET" is an undefined name. SQLSTATE=42704 followed by CNTLAL: Prepare1 failed. apperrc is C10101. sqlstate is 42704. sqlcode is -204

Smells like a bug and I'll see if IBM is interested in fixing it.
    Last edited by Jim_Stewart; 08-14-17 at 17:22. Reason: test results

I appreciate it Jim. I waited many hours trying to track down what turned out to be a typo.

Hi John,

If you can, open a problem ticket with IBM. They will fix this problem for future generations.

Thanks,
    Jim