Thread: dBase III

dBase III

Hi All!

I have a situation where the dBase III cannot open .dbf extension file. An ERROR message occurs. Is there another way to open this file?

Any suggestions ideas would be great.

The .DBF extension applies to a number of variants of dBase. Note that there is dBase III, and dBase III+ (Plus) and they are different, and a file from one variant might not work on the other.

Otherwise, the most common cause of the problem you describe will be data corruption in the header. If this is the case, it can be fixed, but it's fiddly. Most important, this problem rarely involves any problem with the actual data in the file, which could well be perfectly OK.

There are utilities about that claim to be able to fix such problems, but I'm not sure about anything that tries to do such a thing 'automatically'.

Could you post a hex dump of the first 32 bytes of the file, also a note of the exact file size reported by the DOS DIR command. I may be able to pinpoint the exact problem.

Geoff

File structure and header format of dBase III and dBase III+ are prob the same, so that should not be an issue. The '+' designation I understand related more to the inclusion of the 'ASSIST' facilities within the 'plus' version, although I believe there were other differences too. However, when I started 'professional' use of dbase, I went right into 'plus', and never used the earlier version, but the business I worked for had used dBase III before I started, so much of the code I was working on was originally written for dBase III.

Geoff

Sim4873,

Try to upload the file here https://onlinefile.repair/en/dbf.html and than re-open it.

Good luck