Unanswered: update DB2 whlie retaining the DB

Hello,

I need to go from Express-C 10.5 to Express-C 11.0, on a Linux host. As you probably know, updates are not allowed for Express-C, only uninstall+install. I do need, however, to retain all data. What is the recommended course of action? Full backup while on 10.5 and then restore on 11.0? Is the version difference going to affect the restore?

Or is there a faster, more seamless way? This command db2iupdt seems relevant but the docs are not as helpful as I would like.

Thanks,

George
    Last edited by gdevelek1; 08-25-17 at 05:31.

Provided Answers: 25
    Taking a full offline backup on V10.5 before version-upgrade is prudent and the recommended action and the best practice. It allows safe back outs if that becomes necessary.
    It should not be necessary to drop the v10.5 *database(s)* because after you install the V11.x , you should be able to upgrade those V10.5 databases in-situ to V11.x (or alternatively restore a v10.5 backup which will upgrade them).

Thanks for answering.

Yes, it goes without saying that I'll take an offline backup before any work.

So you are saying that the 10.5 backup will restore seamlessly into 11.0? (both Express-C releases)

As for the update/upgrade command (the alternative to backup/restore), it seems db2iupgrade and not db2iupdt is the one I must use. Can you confirm?

Provided Answers: 25
    db2iupgrade is for a DB2-version-upgrade (example V10.1 to V11, or V10.5 to V11).
    db2iupdt is for a fixpack update (example V10.5.0.0 to V10.5.0.8).
    For a paid edition of DB2 it is possible to upgrade in situ, if that is what you want to do.
    It's also possible to install the new DB2-version, create a new separate DB2-instance for that version, and restore an offline backup from a lower version into the new DB2-instance, if you have enough resources to support this configuration.
    You can also run both DB2-versions (in separate db2-instances) in parallel on the same hostname if you have enough resources.
    I don't know if IBM further restricts what the Express-C editions can do in these respects.
    When you do a restore from a previous-version offline backup, it normally succeeds, but occasionally (depnding on which features you have abused or used) the upgrade can throw an exception for which you must react, but generally it works fine.