Answered: Pervasive SQL V 8 data migration to SQL 2008/12 standard

Hello everyone,
    I am working on an assignment to decommission on of our very old application that uses Pervasive SQL V 8 database client. Before decommission, I want to migrate all data into a supported SQL 2008/12 database version. I have got all the DFF and DAT files from PSQL DB, but really no clue how to get structure and data from that? Could you please help me here? Also, any relevant approach or suggestions are really helpful in this please.

thanks

2. Best Answer
    Posted by mirtheil

"Are you wanting the data migrated exactly as it is stored in the PSQL database or do you want it converted into something potentially usable? Are you wanting to just access the data at a later date or use the app to access the data?

Easiest way would be to create a PSQL database name pointing to the DDFs / Data files, the import the data through the SQL Server Import/Export tool. You might have to map some data types (there are types supported by PSQL that aren't supported by MS SQL Server) but you should be able to get the data into a set of tables in MS SQL Server.
    A longer option would be to use the Pervasive Control Center to export the data to CSV/SDF and then import it into SQL Server."

Provided Answers: 6
    Are you wanting the data migrated exactly as it is stored in the PSQL database or do you want it converted into something potentially usable? Are you wanting to just access the data at a later date or use the app to access the data?

Easiest way would be to create a PSQL database name pointing to the DDFs / Data files, the import the data through the SQL Server Import/Export tool. You might have to map some data types (there are types supported by PSQL that aren't supported by MS SQL Server) but you should be able to get the data into a set of tables in MS SQL Server.
    A longer option would be to use the Pervasive Control Center to export the data to CSV/SDF and then import it into SQL Server.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by mirtheil View Post
    Are you wanting the data migrated exactly as it is stored in the PSQL database or do you want it converted into something potentially usable? Are you wanting to just access the data at a later date or use the app to access the data?

A longer option would be to use the Pervasive Control Center to export the data to CSV/SDF and then import it into SQL Server.

thank you for your reply. Yes I need data to be converted in a meaningful way, as I saw that data in PSQL is in binary format... I am trying to access the data to get to know the table structure , data flow and so on.. I am sorry for asking low level question, but could you please help with a detailed view, on how to create PSQL database in my windows 10, as I don't have PSQL client installed on my machine? Also, any document or link to understand the non supported data type from PSQL to MS SQL? thank you once again..

Provided Answers: 6
    If you have the DDFs and data files, you should be able to create a Database Name pointing to the data and then open the tables in the Pervasive Control Center and see the fields and the data for those fields. If there is only Binary data, then the application that creates the data might be storing it in a binary format.

You will need a PSQL engine running in order to access the data files in a meaningful way. You can't read the data files without a PSQL engine. Once you have the engine (or client and the data on the server where a PSQL engine is running), you can start the Pervasive Control Center and create a database pointing to the DDFs / Data files.

I don't have a link to unsupported data types but have experienced it in the past.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.