I was told to download and install the latest MDAC compoment. This was the explanation I received:
It is likely caused by a version mismatch of one of the MDAC component files and this is caused sometimes because when the MDAC install process is going on, if a MDAC component file is in use by some other program then it may not get replaced with a newer version and thus there is a chance for version mismatch. It is always a good idea to close all programs before installing a new product.
This was from:
Nat Padmanaban, MCSE
Microsoft SQL Server Support
I was having the same problem on a win xp system... however, i suspected it was because i had attempted to reconfigure MDAC on the system.
i tried installing the latest version MDAC ( 2.6 ) that was available to me immediately. i cudnt download version 2.7 right then.
Anywayz - in the end - i ran the setup for winxp again and chose to 'upgrade existing installation' - in an attempt to reinstall the system without affecting the programs installed. fortunately, all the system files got replaced and the programs remained intact - and voila - problem solved!