Chris Barry Guest

Answered: How can I lock data in one of two joined tables?

Access2000 running on Windows2000 with Office Developers Edition. I have a split database that has a replicated front-end and an .mde back-end. The database uses its own workgroup information file. I have a data entry form that contains fields from two different tables ("tbl1" & "tbl2"). I want to set the permissions for "tbl1" as Read-only and "tbl2" as Read/Write. I am using a query to combine the two tables and feed the data entry form. The problem I am having is that once I combine the tables into one query the resulting recordset is not updatable. It seems that the database is assigning the more restrictive permissions from "tbl1" to the resulting recordset. While this makes sense to me, it is preventing me from getting the end result I need. Anyone have any ideas? I have set the permissions for each control on the form and that works fine for that form. The problem is that the users can still open "tbl1" and change the data in it. To resolve that problem I can hide "tbl1", but there are still other queries in the database that use data from both "tbl1" and "tbl2". Any user opening one of these queries can change the data in "tbl1". I could really use some help here.

2. Best Answer
    Posted by Chris Barry

"I have two linked tables in my database. I want to set one of them as read only and the other as read/write. The problem I have encountered is that it seems as if each time I try to combine data from these tables in a query, the result is a non-updatable recordset.

Your first suggestion sounds like it would be the best solution.

Your second solution sounds workable for the form, but then it seems that the user would be unable to update from a query that was the result of the same two tables (Of course, that isn't neccesarily a bad thing). Am I missing something?
    "

Steve Thompson Guest
    Chris, I read your message twice and am not completely clear on what you need to do...

A couple of general points - it's possible when you created your 2 table join, you created a non-updateble recordset. This had nothing to do with permissions.

It's possible to use a query to provide the base information that you need to display, then through code only allow the read/write table to be updated.

Steve

Chris Barry Guest
    I have two linked tables in my database. I want to set one of them as read only and the other as read/write. The problem I have encountered is that it seems as if each time I try to combine data from these tables in a query, the result is a non-updatable recordset.

Your first suggestion sounds like it would be the best solution.

Your second solution sounds workable for the form, but then it seems that the user would be unable to update from a query that was the result of the same two tables (Of course, that isn't neccesarily a bad thing). Am I missing something?