Unanswered: Oracle Error - S1000 (General Error)

I am using Oracle8i Workgroup Server on Windows NT 4.0, developing application using Cold Fusion 4.0, recently I always hit by the following error:

Error Occurred While Processing Request

ODBC Error Code = S1000 (General error)

[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-01092: ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnection forced.

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFQUERY), occupying document position (85:1) to (85:137).

The error ORA-01092 varies, sometimes it can be ORA-12571, ORA-03113, etc.

The cause of the error is quite obvious: the Oracle is down. The question is why oracle goes down? The problem did not bring any damage to the system, however, it happens too often and hence disturbs the users. I have to find out the real cause and reason that the Oracle server goes down.

Any advice, hinds and assistance are welcome.

ODBC Error code

A good place to look for information on why the instance crashes is
    the background dump destination and the user dump destination, where trace files are generated.

These directories are defined in the init file.

To find this value you can log in whith a user with DBA privileges and issueing a command like

from SQL*Plus or from svrmgrl...

Then go on that (bdump) directory and look for a file like SIDalrt.log or alert_SID.log.

This file should report why the instance crashed and when we have the error we can try to resolve.

hope can help.