Unanswered: Multiple databases with one workgroup file

Hello,

I'm working on a project with multiple databases and one workgroupfile. All that I want to do is having three groups of users with totally different privileges for every object (forms, queries tables), but the same into every database and for every object type. It seems I have to define the properties for every databases instead of defining it once and applying it for all. Is there a quick way to do this, or a more friendly way to define it for one type of object and then to make the VBA is working for every document in the object?

Kind Regards, Micke

Hallo Delftenaar

If you are attempting to use the MS Access built-in security, I can't really help you. I avoid it like the plague. When users are using the same workgroup file, you might jeopardize access to other 'public' databases.

If your system doesn't have to be fully secure, but you just want different 'workgroups' to see a different subset of the data, you can build a table with user ID's and workgroups (and passwords if you want), and use code to allow them to certain areas of your application. You can make this a local table, or better, keep the user table in a secure (SQL Server) database, establish a brief connection from your Access DB to get user info, and then delete the connection.

Hope this helps. Mazzel...

Are your users all linked to the same workgroup? If yes, they should inherit all security settings set by the admin of the workgroup. Again... this might cause problems if they want to view other databases.

I never change the default workgroup for users, I have them access the secured db via a shortcut that specifies the workgroup for the secured db. This allows them to open any public db's and keeps unauthorized users out of the secured db.

If you have several db's that use the same workgroup file, you will need to go into each and set up the permissions. You can only set up permissions on the mdb that is currently open.