Post Unanswered: SQL7 fails on Compaq w.WinXP

Trying to install SQL7 on new Compaq with Win XP is failing with TimeOuts in the CNFGSVR.OUT log.

Starting Service...
    COnnecting to Server...
    driver={sql};server=.;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master
    [MICROSOFT][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired
    SQL Server configuration failed.

This is only happening on a new Compaq box. SQL7 and MSDE for 7 installed on a Dell box fine. I've stopped the NVSVC (norton virus scan) process, stopped any Compaq processes running, and searched for InsightMonitor or InsightAgent services - did not find those services. I was going to stop those service(s) and try install again. This is not a Proliant server grade box, so I think thats why my customer does not have the Insight* Services. Tried new install after stopping the above processes and it still failed with the same CNFGSVR.OUT log (listed above).

User profile is Computer administrator - so its not permissions either.
    There is no virus scan running - Norton came preinstalled, but stopped that.
    The Registry is not creating a key for Microsoft SQL 7.0, although the MSSQLServer key is created under HKEY_LocalMachine. The MSSQL7 directory is created, but with only the Log and Install directories under that. Checked the Event Viewer - only 1 error referencing 'Could not find the SQLCNT70.DLL file.' Checked Windows/System32 directory and that file was not there, but I'm pretty sure thats trivial and not the reason I can't get SQL installed.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You can only install the SQL 7 Desktop Edition or Developers' Edition on Windows XP Professional. I would guess the same could go on XP Home. If you're trying to install a Standard or Enterprise Edition, you'll have to switch to one of the Windows 2000 Server versions of the OS.