Unanswered: Maximum size for MS Access 2000 mdb

I have a 115MB mdb where most of the tables are linked to SQL. This is the size after compacting and compiling. I have seen weird problems as file grew above 100MB, such as printing appears to print but job is never spooled to printer. Problems occur on Windows 98 workstations with 128MB RAM. Mostly PIII processors with 1+GB free disk space.

Has anyone seen issues with mdb's that grow this big? How should I go about reducing the size? How would I split the file into two and load them from a single switchboard?

Thanks.

Your application is 115Mb? I know this might be a silly question but are your datafiles and your application split. If not then I would look into it. If so then split your table in to different databases. If you have one that holds all static information and then one that holds your changing information. This might help. If not then you might need to upgrade to SQL.

95% of the tables are linked to an sql server. The 115MB is comprised mostly of reports, querys, and forms.

Well that is one huge database application. You could look at spliting it into different modules. Calling the modules you use together then use some sort of switch board to open the different db files. You should make a suite of programs.

Thanks for the input. Does the builtin switchboard have the capability to open outside mdb's? What is a typical mdb size to use as a max size reference?

I would just look at the program itself. See what forms and reports go with with what and go from there.

Do you use MS ODBC for connecting to the Sql Server

Don't you try Oracle for Data Storing?
    How about speed of connection through the Microsoft ODBC to Sql Server...

Sincerelly, Oleksandr

http://www.databasecreations.com/largedb.htm
    Hope this link helps, This link has info on Access 97, but they some of them can be used in Access 2000 as well. This helped me to cut down the size of my front ends by at least 10%. (The max was 37 MB though).

XZONE

Thanks Guys. I inherited this app in all its glory. MS SQL is adequate since there are only 3-5 users and minimal data interchange volume. I am developing a trimmed down version for future needs, but they will continue to have to use this old system for another three years for the legacy functionality. The only real issue is workstation memory. The client doesn't want to invest any additional development in this old app, so I am limited to quick fixes.

As i understood, you have frontend forms/reports/queries etc. + tables in the same MDB. You may do the following:

1) You may separate your tables from this MDB and add into a new MDB. Size will come down drastically.

2) After some time, your data base MDB will grow. for that purpose, you may split your database MDB files into 3-4 now only.

3) Table dependencies like 1 to many and cascase delete/update problem: Its better to have all dependent files in same MDB files.

4) Interdependencies of tables especially in Queries: Instead of creating relationship in Backend MDB, you may attach the tables from Backend to frontend and and then create relationship in frontend. This will help in a great way and solve all your problems.

Hope this will help you.